• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question about the horse stance

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I will post this question in this section of this forum since we have people from a diverse background.

My question is, how do kungfu practioners tolerate being in horse stance for many hours? Also what do they think about in terms of managing the pain?

I ask because I got in to horse stance training to improve my balance and posture but I usually end up throwing the towel after 5 minutes.

P.S: Yes I know kung fu is not a good martial arts for fighting, yes I know doing horse stance doesn't mean I know how to fight. I am engaging it as a form of exercise and not for combat application

Maybe switch to Ballet, Good looking flexible women do ballet.

tumblr_mx7129IixB1r187pho1_500.gif

The question isn't "how long can I be in the horse stance" but rather "how long can the horse be in me?"

Last edited:
I will post this question in this section of this forum since we have people from a diverse background.

My question is, how do kungfu practioners tolerate being in horse stance for many hours? Also what do they think about in terms of managing the pain?

I ask because I got in to horse stance training to improve my balance and posture but I usually end up throwing the towel after 5 minutes.

P.S: Yes I know kung fu is not a good martial arts for fighting, yes I know doing horse stance doesn't mean I know how to fight. I am engaging it as a form of exercise and not for combat application

how could it possibly improve your balance, lol. and postural work can be done much more efficiently.

horse stance is a good way to get kicked right in the dick

IF you can handle only 5 minutes perhaps your gung-fu is weak!

Just add like 30 seconds each time you do it. Before you know it, you'll be at 20 minutes or so, almost half an hour. By then, when you go into stance, the dirt or tiles will crack under your feet. That's how you know you're good to go!

You could meditate during it (breathing exercises) and stop concentrating on the time (but have a timer/clock of some type set up), that helps a lot, or listen to music (which puts you in a type of meditative state) if you don't know how to do that.

There's nothing wrong with horse stance, it's basically a type of prolonged squat. It makes your legs very strong and powerful. Good strong legs are the most important part/aspect of any fighting discipline's basic body conditioning

how can you do that when you try to meditate 8 hrs a day like your other thread

or do you meditate in the horse stance

anyways, ive never tried, but probably a long time, ive done 15 minute wall sits, shoulder to shoulder with the wrestling team while people walk across our legs. i'd imagine the horse stance couldn't be much more difficult

Back