Question about the bas rutten power kick

stinkoman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
First off Im very limited with alot of the standup game so dont flame me to hard.

Awhile ago I seen the Bas Rutten power kick video probbaly alot of you seen if not here is the link. YouTube - Bas Rutten's secret to power kicking

When I kick like this I do feel more powerful kicking but I feel it hinders my foot work.Any body else have opinions why I should not kick like this and go with the more traditonal thai kick?I no Bas was trained or has trained with Ramon Dekkers step dad the famous coach I cant think of at the moment.Is this way that he throws the kick simillar to other dutch fighters,the part of the "dutch style" or is this more of a bas thing.I tried to find other fighters doing this either I can't or I do not have an eye to see them doing it.

Seems like a good technique. Don't understand how it hinders your foot work though. Just step and turn your left foot out then kick, don't really see the problem?

That's the way we kick in karate, just be carefull not to extend your support leg (keep it slightly bent) or you could damage the ligaments in your knee.

When he actually kicks he DOES turn on the balls of his feet. It's just not explicit.

But the momentum should automatically turn you on the balls of your feet.

Look at how Yod kicks. I think he is a better specimen on how to kick hard personally (for his size/weight... it's incredible)

Back