Question about Rickson and shrimping

FuneralPyre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I've heard that Rickson teaches some sort of revolutionary method of shrimping. Can anyone link me to a vid about this or try to explain it to me if there's no vid? Thanks.

It's a well known fact that shrimps don't shrimp, instead they Rickson.

I doubt that it is a revolutionary way of shrimping. Probably more like a slight variation of the current method of shrimping that everyone thinks is revolutionary because Rickson showed it.

He has been focusing more on using your shoulders and hips at the same time.

I doubt that it is a revolutionary way of shrimping. Probably more like a slight variation of the current method of shrimping that everyone thinks is revolutionary because Rickson showed it.

Actually smart ass, its more likely that it isn't new at all but the actual way it was first taught and thus looks different than all the "new and revolutionary" shrimping that is being taught by the 50/50 crowd.:icon_neut

Actually smart ass, its more likely that it isn't new at all but the actual way it was first taught and thus looks different than all the "new and revolutionary" shrimping that is being taught by the 50/50 crowd.:icon_neut

Yeah, this is the way I learned to shrimp from a Judo instructor actually.

I don't think you actually meant to slight the 50/50 academy, but it sort of looks like you accidentally did.

Ironically (coincidentally?) Ryan Hall is the one spreading this idea that guys like Rickson and Roger don't shrimp like the rest of us. He claims to have cracked it and calls it "the trade secret."

And now he's not telling people either...

Something similar was discussed by Rodrigo Vaghi when he visited us, showing how we shrimp usually (and how that tends to make your problems worse and use energy) and how we should.

good stuff. I could see that being very effective as well as the "normal" way of doing a hip escape.

So Rickson is the only one who remembered the correct way of shrimping and everyone else got it screwed up along the way? Not trying to bash Rickson, but the worship and mystique around all these "Rickson variations" just turns me off.

I have heard so much about the "Rickson shrimp" but have yet to see a video or an explanation of what is so different or better about it. I mean are people who attend his seminars sworn to secrecy or is the "Rickson shrimp" just a BJJ urban legend.

So Rickson is the only one who remembered the correct way of shrimping and everyone else got it screwed up along the way? Not trying to bash Rickson, but the worship and mystique around all these "Rickson variations" just turns me off.

I have heard so much about the "Rickson shrimp" but have yet to see a video or an explanation of what is so different or better about it. I mean are people who attend his seminars sworn to secrecy or is the "Rickson shrimp" just a BJJ urban legend.

They are just building up hype so they can release the Rickson $500 dvd set.

Back