Question about "rear naked chocke"

ProfessorMMA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where did the name "rear naked choke" come from? Specifically, why is the word "naked" included in the name? Why not just "rear choke"? Is there such a thing as the "naked triangle"?

I dont know.. I have wondered the same thing.

I think originally it was done while naked....................actually I have no idea

I would think it means that a Gi is not required to do it, any thoughts?

maybe it has to do with a plain choke and not utalizing other body parts or stuff like that. cause you can do a RNC with the guys are across his neck right? im not really sure, we'll get some fight history buffs to answer this sooner or later.

my sources (voices in my head) reliably tell me that it was designed as a foreplay by gay fighters in rome

I think "naked" is used as your not able to see your oponent, as he is from your behind?
That is by guess

I tried search but couldn't find it. I think this has been discussed though. If I remember correctly, which I probably don't, it is related to the brazilian term for the move.
Sorry, that was no help at all.

It is called rear naked choke because you do not require a gi to choke the person.

i always assumed naked=no gi

i think the brazillian name is "mata leao", lion killer, which doesn't have "naked" in it, though I guess lions are always naked but...

best I can come up with is that it requires no GI and is simply arm movement around neck... thus naked arm... along those lines lol.. ;) theres my guess

Hmm.. I think if you use the term naked, in not a sense, I sit naked while posting on Sherdog & see naked more ass bare & not nude it makes more sense. The rear choke, is naked from using a gi, a piece of equipment or any other object you could utilize to choke.

Other chokes that come to mind such as the triangle, side choke or gi chokes need to use the gi or pressure with a trapped arm.

Think of the saying, to the 'naked' eye. E.g. To the naked eye, this person did not see the scam. That gives me connotations of the person with the naked eye, being unassisted, unknowledgeable & deceived. How this works into a choke? Well, a naked choke. you are not assisted & this type of choke is know by anyone, a caveman, a white belt or your girlfriend, so I suppose there isn't much knowledge into the technique.

That or maybe it originated by someone being choked to death at a nudist beach.

The name comes from the Japanese name used for the choke (from Judo). Hadaka Jime. Hadaka means naked. Being that it comes from judo this is likely referring to the fact that the gi is not used.

It was explained to me by a judo/jiu-jitsu buff as naked being there isn't the use of gi or arm in the choke. The neck is naked. Rear becuase you are behind them in a gay prison love position and chocke as you are choking them the fuck out.

why do you ask? do you feel like you are gay while you are doing it?
a name shouldnt matter, what do you imply when you say "i can put you in an americana?

good responses..never knew myself

TheHighlander said:
The name comes from the Japanese name used for the choke (from Judo). Hadaka Jime. Hadaka means naked. Being that it comes from judo this is likely referring to the fact that the gi is not used.

Best answer so far.
"Hadaka" is japanese not just for "naked" but for "bare" (i.e. no clothing). And as far as I was told before, it does refer to the fact that the kimono is not used in the technique.
And yes, in Brazil, it is referred to as "Mata Leao" which is portuguese for Lion Killer. Why? Dunno.

sha said:
i always assumed naked=no gi

i think the brazillian name is "mata leao", lion killer, which doesn't have "naked" in it, though I guess lions are always naked but...

This is what I always thought as well, as there are variations that use the gi that are not naked, per se.

Back