Question about ketosis and PWO fat

blank1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that fat is usually a bad thing PWO, because it slows digestion. However, I was hoping that by some stretch, there existed a fat from some sort of food (Perhaps even in supplement form?) that digested more quickly. Does it exist? If so, what is and where can you buy it?

I don't know if I agree with fat being "bad" because of slower gastric emptying. If this were true, then high level athletics on low-carb nutrition would be impossible. Which is absolutely not the case. The body can do pretty fantastic stuff, one of the things that occurs during ketosis is the action of glucagon. Glucagon is what forms the ketones in the liver. This is not an inefficient process for purposes of either muscle retention, or fueling. It's only inefficient in the caloric sense. Once this process is reached it runs pretty smoothly.

I remember that thread. Some good general information, although ketosis involves other pathways. When there's no insulin in the blood (thus, very little glucose), things do work a touch differently. Lack of understanding of the mechanisms is one of the big reasons why Doctors of the American Medical Club would poo poo this approach, because typically the presence of ketones AND glucagon signify bad things (like starvation). But this is contrary to what are now known to be more long-term results.

Well, broadly labeling all fat as bad is not accurate. It's a long topic to discuss. I'd suggest checking out Dr Eades diet sight. Lots of good information there on good and bad fats.

Health and Nutrition by Dr. Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Concerning a fat that is quickly digested, MCT or medium chain triglycerides digests relatively fast. They can be bought at the store. But the best and highest source for natural MCTs is coconut oil.

From going through a few of the linked threads my mind has been blown.

My main goal is muscle gain for power lifting (as well as dropping a small amount of bodyfat, I'm at 15% or so looking to get down closer to 10%).

So PWO a whey protein/creatine shake with water and no high glycemic carbs would be better for my goals? I've always heard that carbs PWO increase muscle protein synthesis so I've been drinking chocolate milk with a scoop of whey as my PWO beverage.

I'm a nutrition newb so sorry for the dumb question.

Back