Question about Gis/Kimonos

hamad_aj

White Belt
Reaction score
I may start taking up Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu this summer(havent really decided which one yet)...

If I do, Im gonna have to buy me a Gi/Kimono...so I had a couple of questions in mind

First of all, is there a difference between Gi and Kimono? or is it just naming difference? Im sure Kimono is japanese, but Im not sure if Gi is brazilian...I really dont know, can someone help?

Second, I read from time to time things like "single weave" and "double weave" and many other phrases I cant remember...can someone please explain these?

Third, I know this is a question that varies by personal interest(but I guess that in the end we can sum it up to a couple of brands), what do you think is the best brand(s) for Gis, and which one do you use?

I hope this post becomes helpful to others before myself...

Thank you very much...
I havent posted many threads or participated in many others, but even though, I have benefitted so much in such little effort :)

gi is short for dogi. It is a japanese term, not Brasilian. Kimono same diff, but not often used in the sense of training. If you say kimono in normal MMA circles we'll know what you're talking about, but the correct term if you were to mention it to a japanese person who doesn't involve themselves with BJJ or grappling would be dogi.

You will mostly find websites selling BJJ 'Kimonos'

Single/Double are just different weaves of gi. A single is lighter than a double, but a double is more durable. Singles can also breathe easier as they are not as thick and heavy. Some people tend to go for hybrid weaves of the gi which offer both good sustainability and strength.

I like my Padilla gi's right now (matrat.us) but I have alot of love for all my gi's. I found myself using my summer kimono from Vulkan alot when it was hot, but it is a bit too thin for me to compete in.

it's all about what you want out of a gi. You're question on 'best gi' has been done alot, feel free to search.

~Foz

In addition to what Foz said, a double gives a competitive advantage due to the collar being much harder to get a good grip on. IMO, grip fighting is more important in Judo than BJJ but still a factor.

Most Judo guys train in singles and only get the doubles out for comps. A beginner is almost always better off with a single.

If it helps, i started training in BJJ a little over 3 months ago. I started with an Atama single weave and it's great. I train about 3 times per week and wash it almost as much. It held up great. I have recently purchased Fuji's RGDA Gi. It's about twenty bucks cheaper than the Atama but seems to be great quality as well. Other than that, just read the other threads to get some ideas. The best way to find out is just to ask others members of whatever school you join.

Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back