Question about Frank Mir comment on Brock Lesnar...

Wrestling is good historically at beating BJJ if the wrestler is educated about submissions and utilizes stronger posture and pressure. Brock said in the post-fight that it was a basic move his students or something know how to get out of.

Brock was on one because Bud Light wouldn’t pay him nothin’

Brock learned a lot on the ground in a very short period of time. His size, immense strength, and great amateur wrestling obviously helped with this a great deal. He wasn’t going to make another rookie mistake in that rematch on the ground so Frank really had no chance whatsoever. That fight was a one sided demolishing. Brock beat the shit out of Frank..

There’s not a lot of guys that are going to do well underneath Brock regardless of their pedigree or credentials, especially near the fence. Another elite wrestler maybe but not a lot of guys can escape that strength and experience

If a freakishly strong, heavy wrestler gets on top of a BJJ guy and pounds him in the face a few times, their BJJ goes out the window.

If there was a Jiujitsu version of Brock on the bottom he could have subbed him..

God Brock hated Mir

I don't think I can think of another case where someone hated another fighter as much as Brock did for Mir

I think it's more of a matter that Frank Mir had a horseshoe up his ass and Brock pulled that sumbitch out and beat him over the head with it.
I read this while drinking a Coors light.

Brock worked with Greg Nelson specifically on nullifying Frank’s bottom game. There’s an interview Greg gave later talking about the hours and hours they spent going over what Brock needed to do from top. He never got off Frank’s wrists and completely flattened him/took his hips away.

Frank was working on the intricacies of details of moves that Brock didn't know the names of.

So Brock just hulk smashed him.

I remember Frank talking about how ignorant Brock is about jujitsu and he is naming jujitsu moves, techniques and positions only to end it with "You probably don't know what they mean!"

Yet despite all those BJJ knowledge, he got beat badly in the rematch. I am a bit confused, are there moves in BJJ that don't translate well in the UFC while wrestling does? Or did Brock have the type of strength to overwrite the technical aspect of Mir's BJJ?
Brock stuck close to him,gave him no room to move,no space to do any holds.Smart Strategy that worked.

this. he was doing just fine and just reacted with a moron move
Yep. I can tell Brock wanted to strike more,but did what brought him there in the end

Brock was a good wrestler and the larger, stronger man. By the time of their rematch, he knew enough bjj to neutralize Mir on the ground. Also, Mir didn't put up much resistance and accepted position in the first round which Brock took advantage of. The 2nd round Mir got trapped against the cage and wasn't able to overcome Brocks size, strength, and positional control to escape getting pounded out. Brock basically didn't give Mir the space to do anything. He stayed heavy and completely neutralized him. Not everything in the sport of bjj translates well to mma. Striking being probably the biggest reason. I don't think Brock had a good chance at subbing Mir in a grappling match.

Honestly, it finally makes sense now!

I used to train in judo/sambo for fun before Covid. I got the impression that my Sambo coach never liked BJJ because it felt like it was a gracie propaganda designed to mislead people to the effectiveness of pure ground fighting. But I noticed that more and more, wrestlers/stand up grapplers tend to have insane advantage over ground fighters.

Is it accurate to say that, wrestling and stand up grappling is harder to learn and thus a higher learning curve and yet more rewarding because its a skill not as abundant as ground grappling/BJJ?

I always wondered that when Khabib wore" If sambo was easy it would be called BJJ" since sambo very wrestling heavy.
MMA standup grappling is different too. They shoot without knees touching on the ground now because opponent isn't in a wrestling stance. There is also a wall they can use to defend or take people down. Personally I think Judo is useless to teach Adults. Adults just don't learn how to break fall as well as children. You can't really train a lot of throwing with adults without them getting hurt. There are also no real wrestling programs for adults either.

I wouldn't say wrestlers and standup grapplers have an insane advantage since I haven't really seen any wrestlers or Sambo guys dominating ADCC in a long time. In terms of MMA, if you are in top position you are winning the fight. It's easier to stalemate with someone on the bottom and still win the match.

NCAA 1 champ + freak genes + BJJ training + punches allowed >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BJJ Black belt Mir.

I'm sure that Lesnar could fuck up most BJJ black belts from the top.
All

Back