Question about digestive system on fight day

gungfudisciple

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What is the optimum level of food in the digestive system of a mma fighter when he steps in the ring?

I personally like my whole system to be basically empty when the bell rings. Definitely no solid foods within 36-48 hours before the fight, but thats mostly because I get nervous butterflies and an empty stomach helps me focus better plus theres no blood being used for digesting etc.

I am not stating that my way is anything special, I am intersted in other points of view.

EDIT to add that I am referring to the whole system, including waste.

I try to keep my food intake as close to an average day as possible. It's what your body is used to, and therefore your body will have adapted to use the food source as best as possible. Of course I still increase carbs and sugars more than I would normally just for energy...

If you do something much different the day of the fight, your body will not be used to using it as an energy source and therefore you will not be at your best, in my opinion.

fwb said:
I try to keep my food intake as close to an average day as possible. It's what your body is used to, and therefore your body will have adapted to use the food source as best as possible. Of course I still increase carbs and sugars more than I would normally just for energy...

If you do something much different the day of the fight, your body will not be used to using it as an energy source and therefore you will not be at your best, in my opinion.

Thats actually a very good point.

I liked to eat a huge breakfast after sleeping in a bit. If I have to get up early I'll have an OK breakfast and then a huge lunch. So I like to eat a lot 5-6 hours pre fight. So by the time I"m fighting my stomach is relatively empty, I have a lot of energy, but I"m not hungry or full. Then just pre competition I might have some simple sugars or something like that but not a lot.

I am not a fighter though, so I dunno how helpful this is. In my one fight I did this and was fine. I also did this for 4 years of gymanstics and was fine. So mine works for general competition.

Ken Shamrock said he does a similar thing in his book about fighting.

Rjkd12 said:
I liked to eat a huge breakfast after sleeping in a bit. If I have to get up early I'll have an OK breakfast and then a huge lunch. So I like to eat a lot 5-6 hours pre fight. So by the time I"m fighting my stomach is relatively empty, I have a lot of energy, but I"m not hungry or full. Then just pre competition I might have some simple sugars or something like that but not a lot.

I am not a fighter though, so I dunno how helpful this is. In my one fight I did this and was fine. I also did this for 4 years of gymanstics and was fine. So mine works for general competition.

Ken Shamrock said he does a similar thing in his book about fighting.

I guess its just my nerves, If I ate that much Id be feeling very "crappy".

Back