Question about county votes from a non-US citizen

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It was curious to me when I saw this map:
https://www.bbc.com/news/election/us2020/results

The VAST majority of counties in the entire US voted for Trump.
Even in the blue states, when you click on the state, it will give you a view into counties and how they were voting, even in those blue states were Biden won, the vast majority of counties were voting for Trump.
Is it at all weird to you that just in those few counties where there were so many more votes, in comparison to other counties, Biden got so much more support that won him those states?

Again, I'm not from the US so I'm ignorant, but I've watched the presidential debates, I've heard some accusations about rigged mailing ballots and I heard a counter-argument of "Do you know how much effort it would take to corrupt someone in every county in every state?"
Well, from what I'm looking at, it would just be enough to corrupt someone in the counties that it all depends on ;) It's crazy to look at, where it's all red on the map, like 45/50 counties in some state is red, and then you have 5 for Biden and the whole state is for Biden since that 1 county had so many votes available and so it happens that of course in those counties Biden gets a sweeping win with like 80% more votes.

It was very curious to me so I wanted to as you my fellow US Sherbros. I'm not pro any candidate, although Trump probably gets more of my sympathy as he seems more straightforward and just says things how he sees it, but don't care about that, just let me know what your thoughts are.
Is it at all a bit worrying, or weird for Trump supporters, or not really and it's just the way it is in every election?

Last edited:
Thanks, I will read it tomorrow since I'm heading for bed now.

People vote, not counties.

One county will a million people voted for Biden.

Nine counties with 100,000 people voted for Trump.

Biden still wins.

I know that people vote but that doesn't answer my question, really. It would be weird to me seeing 45/50 counties voting for one candidate and having 5/50 voting for another with a huge vote win, like... how come the whole state is pro one candidate and just few counties are not, those happening to be the deciding factor. I haven't seen a counties summary overall in the whole US but I would think it's like... 900 for Trump and 100 for Biden. It's weird and it does raise a concern regarding rigging things in just those counties that matter.
And again, I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, which I know I do sound like that.
Is it always like this across the years? Is it normal?

I know that people vote but that doesn't answer my question, really. It would be weird to me seeing 45/50 counties voting for one candidate and having 5/50 voting for another with a huge vote win, like... how come the whole state is pro one candidate and just few counties are not, those happening to be the deciding factor. I haven't seen a counties summary overall in the whole US but I would think it's like... 900 for Trump and 100 for Biden. It's weird and it does raise a concern regarding rigging things in just those counties that matter.
And again, I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, which I know I do sound like that.
Let me reiterate what he said: densely populated counties have more votes than sparsely populated counties

Just because you tend to have a greater amount of districts doesn’t mean you have a greater amount of people

The divide is mainly rural vs urban

It's pretty much always like this and doesn't have to do with rigging. People from rural areas and cities tend to value things differently. It happens to be enough of a difference to correlate pretty well with how people vote. A lot of that red you see is farm land. A lot of the blue is people.

It was curious to me when I saw this map:
https://www.bbc.com/news/election/us2020/results

The VAST majority of counties in the entire US voted for Trump.
Even in the blue states, when you click on the state, it will give you a view into counties and how they were voting, even in those blue states were Biden won, the vast majority of counties were voting for Trump.
Is it at all weird to you that just in those few counties where there were so many more votes, in comparison to other counties, Biden got so much more support that won him those states?

Again, I'm not from the US so I'm ignorant, but I've watched the presidential debates, I've heard some accusations about rigged mailing ballots and I heard a counter-argument of "Do you know how much effort it would take to corrupt someone in every county in every state?"
Well, from what I'm looking at, it would just be enough to corrupt someone in the counties that it all depends on ;) It's crazy to look at, where it's all red on the map, like 45/50 counties in some state is red, and then you have 5 for Biden and the whole state is for Biden since that 1 county had so many votes available and so it happens that of course in those counties Biden gets a sweeping win with like 80% more votes.

It was very curious to me so I wanted to as you my fellow US Sherbros. I'm not pro any candidate, although Trump probably gets more of my sympathy as he seems more straightforward and just says things how he sees it, but don't care about that, just let me know what your thoughts are.
Is it at all a bit worrying, or weird for Trump supporters, or not really and it's just the way it is in every election?

It boils down to urban vs. rural voters.

People that live in cities are more likely to vote democrat. People that live in rural areas are more likely to vote republican.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back