Question about BCAA and Protein

Country Gravy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine takes a BCAA and Whey protein. To be more specific BCAA boost from True Protein and Whey concentrate also from true protein (if that makes a difference) The BCAA Boost he uses PreWO and the whey is taken before bed. His thought process is the BCAA boost allows his body to burn fat but maintain lean muscle. The whey... well I think everyone knows what the whey is for. Is that a good move? Is that too much protein? Does the body react differently taking both of these? This was the first time I've heard of someone taking both a BCAA and a whey protein, so I wanted to see if this is common or is my friend just an idiot :icon_chee

why does he take the whey before bed? pointless then. Whey generally is absorbed by the body in about an hour.

Thats not nearly "too much" protein though. Protein (whey included) is built off of amino acids (dur), a good chunk of it being branched chain amino acids. Taking the bcaa's before a workout will help keep the body in an anabolic state.

why does he take the whey before bed? pointless then. Whey generally is absorbed by the body in about an hour.

Thats not nearly "too much" protein though. Protein (whey included) is built off of amino acids (dur), a good chunk of it being branched chain amino acids. Taking the bcaa's before a workout will help keep the body in an anabolic state.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't go so far as to say your friend is an idiot, but he should take the whey immediately after working out and get some casein for before bed. (Or just eat cottage cheese.)

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't go so far as to say your friend is an idiot, but he should take the whey immediately after working out and get some casein for before bed. (Or just eat cottage cheese.)

Yeah, cottage cheese is a good way to go. That's what I currently do. However, I'm figuring out that it gets a little expensive. A good alternative to straight Casein is Milk Protein Isolate. I did that for a while before bed and it worked good.

Yeah, cottage cheese is a good way to go. That's what I currently do. However, I'm figuring out that it gets a little expensive. A good alternative to straight Casein is Milk Protein Isolate. I did that for a while before bed and it worked good.

I've never been a fan of cottage cheese, hated it for a long time actually. But I've recently started sucking it up and eating it. Not as bad as I remembered it being. And a lot of people here swear by it so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I just did a three-month stint during which cottage cheese was a staple component of my pre-bedtime feeding. But, I recently switched back to Muscle Milk before bed, primarily because it's eight cents cheaper per serving compared to my entire pre-bedtime feed.

cottage cheese is starting to tax me... I go through a ton of the stuff

I see. I'd never heard of anyone taking both a BCAA and a Whey in the same day. I'll let him know about his whey before bed though. Now I have another question, this one is for me not my friend. Is taking both a BCAA and a whey in the same day beneficial?

I don't take any sups except fish oil right now, but if taking both of those is beneficial I may consider it.

BCAA's and Whey can and are taken by quite a few

I agree with another poster casien before bed is tons better than reg whey

Some protiens have extra BCAA's added all have natural accuring aminos

My cousin adds the some dry Ranch seaoning (sold in packets)to his cottage cheese to take it down

Great point. Thats what I've been doing for a while and I loved it. It seemed to be a much better alternative to just drinking a TON of milk or eating a ton of cottage cheese before bed and it was amazing for recovery.

the reasoning for taking free bcaa before exercise is to raise blood levels of the most important amino acids (leucine and the other two supporting bcaas) above those which would be seen from taking only a complex protein with many amino acids

Doesnt make much sense.
As said Casein before bed is the best because Casein protein forms a gel which means its absorbed slowly which helps keep muscle during sleep.

By far the most beneficial time to use Whey and BCAA is straight after a workout.

Taking these will not lead to any fat loss really. .

Check out some bodybuilding forums for more information.

Back