Question about a training technique seen at my gym

UnderTheBridge

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basically in my boxing gym, while we make set-ups and similar abs exercices, a guy with a huge padded stick hits us in the abs. Is there any benifit to this technique? One of the guys is an amateur boxer and was hit really hard like 15 times but he asked for it. It is really painful. Good training or not?

I think that it does have training benefits. At my gym (muay thai) we use thai pads to slam into each others stomach as we do sit ups, or we punch each others stomach. We also will do medicine ball drops onto our stomachs while doing situps.
I think that it helps strengthen the abs, and helps prepare us for an impact to the core.

I've had a partner drop a medicine ball on the abs after doing sit ups/crunches. Shouldn't be painful though.

It's good ab conditioning. But if the guy with the pads is hitting too hard it might make it tough to train with bruised organs. It's up to the guy getting hit to determine how much damage he feels like absorbing

The way my kickboxing instructor explained it the main point was to get used to tightening your abs while still breathing. I'm a beginner though so it could be

The main point was to get used to tightening your abs while still breathing.

That^

...in order to prepare yourself for any sort of impact you might receive during combat so your core is always tense enough to withstand it without necessarily hindering the way you breath.

gota toughen up the body, its necessary

7143_605.jpg

I usually have a 250 pound man slam a medicine ball into my abs and solar plexus..after that i usually want to go cry and crap my pants..note to everyone make sure to take a deuce before any combat training i have seen m fair share of accidents from people getting hit in the stomach..funny yes but not for the guy who just crapped his pants..

...also when ever you are getting hit to toughen up your stomach make sure your either standing or lieing down on abit of a soft surface..you dont want to get injured..im sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back