question 4 kabuki

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
big question, in the case of guys like santa cruz or juan lacazano, esp juan, guys who are on the outside looking in; what do they do in between fights, how do they make livings when they are not active in their career.

in fact for any boxer, how do they pay bills/etc; when they don't have fights coming up or whatnot, lacazano hasn't fought in what a year..i know he will fight hatton. But how the hell does he take care of things when he hasn't had any fights, i know these guys make good money; but alot of people get broken off w/this purse.

could u please explain it to me

I'll have a bash.

While Lascano is no superstar, he's a former world champion who has been involved in a few big fights. Fights such as Wilfredo Vasquez, Stevie Johnston, John Molina, Jesse Leija, Jose Luis Castillo and Vivian Harris.

I'm betting all these fights made him pretty good money. Also top fighters pay good money for top sparring partners like Lascano, which would certainly boost the bankroll between fights.

Good fighters can earn good money and live comfortably, if they are smart with their cash.

Sparring, endorsements, appearences.
Or like Glen Johnson you can hammer nails.

big question, in the case of guys like santa cruz or juan lacazano, esp juan, guys who are on the outside looking in; what do they do in between fights, how do they make livings when they are not active in their career.

in fact for any boxer, how do they pay bills/etc; when they don't have fights coming up or whatnot, lacazano hasn't fought in what a year..i know he will fight hatton. But how the hell does he take care of things when he hasn't had any fights, i know these guys make good money; but alot of people get broken off w/this purse.

Many fighters do lots of different stuff in between fights. This ranges anywhere from ODLH's oversight of his spanish-language newspapers in california, his banks, promotional company, and music and televisision entertainment endeavors, to the Cliff Etienne's robbing of a liquor store and shooting the clerk....I don't really see how there can be one answer for 'what fighters do to make money between fights' because the spectrum is so broad.

Sorry Bro, didn't see this thread until now.

MeBig's got the right idea. SMART Fighters know where to put their money. For instance Wes Ferguson has his own floor cleaning business and has like 30 employees. Because he owns it, he doesn't have to do anything directly and has all the time in the World to train. Some guys get money to live from their Promoters, and any side-jobs they take is just cake. Guys like Cisse Salif work as sparring partners. Cisse's been called by many one of the best HW sparring partners anyone could have, but at the same time he's not cheap. When he worked for Chagaev couple of months ago he was earning like $1,500 a week Euro.

Then yeah, some guys sell drugs. I'm not going to name names but there's at least two in Top Rank who are known for it.

They are going to go the way of Michael Nunn. Damn shame.

just curious, cus when these guys go on these extended breaks i have to wonder how they make ends meet; wether its suspension (judah) or inactivity (lacazano), it isn't made public what these guys do on their downtime to supplement their boxing. As we all know unless ur in the upper echelon, boxing is not exactly a big money business or career.

I think Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson was a mailman for a long time before he got some money recently to start a few businesses.

I believe Micky Ward paved roads. He was doing that until his fights with Gatti. He made decent money with gatti and bought a house and retired. He trains fighters now.

Lazcano started a boxing gym in the Sacramento area. It was/is batting cages & a boxing gym in West Sac. I have no idea if Lazcano makes money at this or not but I do know he was doing it. I'm not sure if he was actually involved in the batting cages & the overall business or if he was just teaching boxing.

So there is a direct answer about Juan Lazcano.

Now I read he took off to other parts of the world to train for the Hatton fight. I forget exactly where he went but it wasn't Sac. Juan is a good fighter. He shouldn't be under-estimated.

from my training in houston, typically the pro fighters had side jobs they did between fights - they basically lived at the gym though when not working.

I believe Micky Ward paved roads. He was doing that until his fights with Gatti. He made decent money with gatti and bought a house and retired. He trains fighters now.

You sure Ward wasn't a corrections officer in a prison?

darnell wilson is an computer systems tech support. He makes decent money from it.

Sorry Bro, didn't see this thread until now.

MeBig's got the right idea. SMART Fighters know where to put their money. For instance Wes Ferguson has his own floor cleaning business and has like 30 employees. Because he owns it, he doesn't have to do anything directly and has all the time in the World to train. Some guys get money to live from their Promoters, and any side-jobs they take is just cake. Guys like Cisse Salif work as sparring partners. Cisse's been called by many one of the best HW sparring partners anyone could have, but at the same time he's not cheap. When he worked for Chagaev couple of months ago he was earning like $1,500 a week Euro.

Then yeah, some guys sell drugs. I'm not going to name names but there's at least two in Top Rank who are known for it.

wow..

thanks for the info KK, i always wondered about this same topic

Back