Quality BJJ @ Ft Bliss/El Paso

elGuey

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently got stationed in Fort Bliss TX via Hawaii. Any suggestions of good quality BJJ instruction. On Google I ran across Relson Gracie El Paso (on google I saw 2 different ones?) Gracie Barra, El Paso Jiu Jitsu (Alliance?) , and 10th Planet JJ, Xtreem Jiu-Jitsu ??. I'm looking for organization, a strong team atmosphere, quality instruction, instructor credentials with solid fundamental emphasis . I left Hawaii as a blue belt (4 stripe).. Thank You ahead of time !:)

Last edited:
I recently got stationed in Fort Bliss TX via Hawaii. Any suggestions of good quality BJJ instruction. On Google I ran across Relson Gracie El Paso (on google I saw 2 different ones?) Gracie Barra, El Paso Jiu Jitsu (Alliance?) , and 10th Planet JJ, Xtreem Jiu-Jitsu ??. I'm looking for organization, a strong team atmosphere, quality instruction, instructor credentials with solid fundamental emphasis . I left Hawaii as a blue belt 4 (4 stripe).. Thank You ahead of time !:)

The Alliance affiliate out there is a good place to train. Tatsuo Goya is a great guy and received his bb from Jacare himself. They get other Alliance bb's for seminars from time to time.

Their space was small last time i was there, but they train hard and have a good crew. Seemed like a lot of grunts in class.

Have fun out there. I used to do a lot of business in the area and, honestly, I like ELP. While you're learning your way around you need to do the following:

-eat at Cattleman's Steakhouse out in Fabens
-eat at State Line BBQ
-eat at L&J's Cafe near the Concordia Cemetery - killer mexican food
-go hike in the Franklins
-drink shitloads of water all year
-use lots of chap stick
-stay the fuck out of Juarez!

You with old ironsides? Here's hoping you don't get stuck at McGregor. That place fucking blows.

The Alliance affiliate out there is a good place to train. Tatsuo Goya is a great guy and received his bb from Jacare himself. They get other Alliance bb's for seminars from time to time.

Their space was small last time i was there, but they train hard and have a good crew. Seemed like a lot of grunts in class.

Have fun out there. I used to do a lot of business in the area and, honestly, I like ELP. While you're learning your way around you need to do the following:

-eat at Cattleman's Steakhouse out in Fabens
-eat at State Line BBQ
-eat at L&J's Cafe near the Concordia Cemetery - killer mexican food
-go hike in the Franklins
-drink shitloads of water all year
-use lots of chap stick
-stay the fuck out of Juarez!

You with old ironsides? Here's hoping you don't get stuck at McGregor. That place fucking blows.

Thanks for the info man! I was talking to some guys on base saying the BB from Alliance El Paso is questionable.Something to the effect of that he was a blue when he trained @ another place in town, yet he got his black BJ Penn fast.... I don't know if that is true , just what some Combative guys told me recently.Yes I'm 1-AD, and I'm stationed on Main Post, yeahhh budddyyyy !!

Thanks for the info man! I was talking to some guys on base saying the BB from Alliance El Paso is questionable.Something to the effect of that he was a blue when he trained @ another place in town, yet he got his black BJ Penn fast.... I don't know if that is true , just what some Combative guys told me recently.Yes I'm 1-AD, and I'm stationed on Main Post, yeahhh budddyyyy !!

that's bullshit. goya is the real deal and got his bb from Jacare himself last year when he was in atlanta for the second phase of the alliance instructor course.

have fun out there!

I trained at the Concrete Jungle School of Fighting. It's a small gym but I loved it. 3 hour training session.

There is 10th planet JJ as well.

Combatives guys ALWAYS suck; 95% of the time. Never listen to what any of them have to say, lest they actually possess (REAL) grappling credentials, such as a BJJ Black Belt, or titles in Advanced/"Expert"/Pro divisions of major competitions. - E

I recommend Gracie Barra El Paso. Jeff Vigil is a great guy and a wonderful instructor. He taught for a few years at GB New Mexico in Albuquerque and opened his own GB school in El Paso shortly after receiving his blackbelt from Tussa in May last year.

Any other info about the place, feel free to PM me.

Jeff who runs the GB school is a friend. I've known him since he was a blue belt. Very technical instructor and is a stand up guy. Also if you join GB you can train at the Las Cruces Gracie Barra and they have some real tough guys. Jacob the head instructor is a brown belt who has produced some great grapplers. One of his guy,s Berto Nava, is a complete stud who has won Nogi Pan Ams and I believe took gold in the teens blue belt Worlds.

I competed in El Paso last summer in a submission only tournament. The Alliance guys I went against had solid skills so I'm sure the school is a good one. I would not suggest the 10th planet school. I competed against 2 of their guys and felt they seriously lacked in basic jiu jitsu fundamentals.

Alliance in EP is legit. I haven not personally trained with Goya but did with Danny Nolasco (brown belt at the time) while there. They are a good school.

Thanks for all the input ! I leave for Cali tomorrow to pick up the wife, I'll be out of town for a little over a week. Once I get back it will be time to set up some trial classes with all the gyms you guys mentioned. (Alliance, Gracie Barra) For those of you who know the El Paso area I live by Basset Mall , and I'm trying to get something fairly close. I was told about Relson Gracie BJJ. Apparently they are one of the older, more established gyms in town. If anyone can vouch for them it would be great, the only part that confuses me is that there are two different schools on Google. There's a TribeMMA/ Relson Gracie gym that is pretty close to my Apts. I also called and talked to the instructor from "Xtreem Jiu-Jitsu", and he seemed a little strange and somewhat oddly arrogant. If anyone that trains at Xtreem sees this , I mean no disrespect. He told me he went stalemate in a match with one of the original Gracie's , I can't remember which one unfortunately. I will stay away from 10th Planet, because DaveB isnt the first person to tell me about lack of fundamentals amongst their students, plus I train with the gi most often.

Last edited:
Back