puzzle mats

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
Are puzzle mats thick enough for rooling on? because it cost like 300 for 1 of the strap mats.

I've got some puzzle mats just off my actual mat area. The ones I've got are definitely thick enough to roll on, but wouldn't cut it for take downs unless you doubled up on them, and still I'm not sure that I'd want to get put down hard on them.

So, if you're looking at just practicing ground work, check out softtiles.com

I'm in no way affiliated, but I couldn't find any place who had mats that were less expensive.

The mats Cageside listed would definitely give more cushion, but if you're stictly starting on the ground and on a really tight budget check out Soft Tiles. They shipped really quickly, and I covered a 10x7ft space just off my mats for just over 100 bucks I think.

I have a 10ft x 10ft square in my basement for drilling that is 1 & 5/8 thick and it is great. Good for rolling. Im not sure how good it would be for judo, but for basic rolling without huge throws its great.

Rolling yes, just dont do any hard throws or take downs otherwise someone is likely to end up in a world of pain.

Rolling yes, just dont do any hard throws or take downs otherwise someone is likely to end up in a world of pain.

I agree with this totally. I think you could practice some takedowns and throws as long as you didnt go all out on them. I have never had any issues with my mats coming apart either like some others have stated.

Yea they seem to stay together well the worst thing to make them seperate is sprawling.

If you don't need to lift them back up and store them, you can use double sided carpet tape to stick them together.

you can put a layer of foam or carpet underneath em of extra padding

Back