Puzzle mats and padding

Nick Fletcher

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I want to mat a 12x20 area in a basement, but I don't have much money. Using the search function I saw several people recommending to put carpet padding under puzzle mats to give extra cushion, but I haven't seen any thing saying how well it holds up with regular usage. Also is one layer of padding enough or should I double it up?

On greatmats.com I found 1/2" mats that will cover my area for about $100 or 5/8" for 150 plus shipping. Will an extra 1/8" make a difference in the padding?

Thanks

We used two layer of the under padding from a carpet store. Though for your purposes you might be able to find enough carpet for free to double up for those dimensions.

If you're just doing stand up stuff then, 5/8 is fine. If you're doing any rolling or break falls type stuff, the thicker the better, imo.

I'd like to do it under $300. We'll be rolling and doing light takedowns, but no slams

Did you try looking for used wrestling mats? If it's too big, you may be able to cut it (even though I imaging it would suck having to cut it).

Even used wrestling mats are almost always going to be more expensive than puzzle mats.

Since this is on a conrete floor, I think you'll find building a short wooden sub-floor, much better at absorbing impact than carpet padding. Just some 2x4s with plywood, and then the puzzle mats on top of that, wood is much more forgiving than concrete.

Getrung.com

We spent like 440 (10 by 10). We do takesowns, roll, and I have even been slammed before. The mats are the best quality I could have hoped for.

I know its more than you want to spend, but its definitely worth it

ebay has dollamur mats for $118 for 2 6x4 mats (free shipping). For $350 you could do 12x12 or 8x18 with real wrestling mats. Used to have puzzle mats, now have these, and it's worth the extra money if you have it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't even think of ebay and I'll look into the cost of building a subfloor.

And I'll post pics and let you know how well whatever I decide to do turns out.

I wouldn't recommend puzzle mats for takedowns. Seen too many pics on this forum of peoples toes with the bones sticking though the skin.
If your toe gets stuck down in one of those cracks while working, its bad news.
Go with a Dollamur mat like others have suggested.

ebay has dollamur mats for $118 for 2 6x4 mats (free shipping). For $350 you could do 12x12 or 8x18 with real wrestling mats. Used to have puzzle mats, now have these, and it's worth the extra money if you have it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't even think of ebay and I'll look into the cost of building a subfloor.

i ordered the ones from dollamur on ebay last week, just awaiting shipment. this is the way to go because you are getting quality mats. hurry though because their sale only lasts a couple more days, then the price goes back up to around $155.

i ordered the ones from dollamur on ebay last week, just awaiting shipment. this is the way to go because you are getting quality mats. hurry though because their sale only lasts a couple more days, then the price goes back up to around $155.

If you miss the sale just wait a little longer & they go back on sale. I got some from them on "sale" a few months ago & I've seen the "sale" cycle on & off several times since.
Also bear in mind that these 4 x 6 mats are not the same construction as the commercial mats from Dollamur (I have both), but they are still quality mats.

How are the 1 5/8 jigsaw mats for throws and takedowns? I know they are advertized to be serviceable for judo and wrestling, and I'm wondering if that's entirely true. Also, what is the process for cleaning them, just out of curiosity.

I wouldn't recommend puzzle mats for takedowns. Seen too many pics on this forum of peoples toes with the bones sticking though the skin.
If your toe gets stuck down in one of those cracks while working, its bad news.
Go with a Dollamur mat like others have suggested.

I've never heard of that happening.

For under $300 you can go to Home Depot and get the 7/8" puzzle mats, get a tarp, and some carpet foam for underneath it. Frame it out for all under $300.

Even used wrestling mats are almost always going to be more expensive than puzzle mats.

Since this is on a conrete floor, I think you'll find building a short wooden sub-floor, much better at absorbing impact than carpet padding. Just some 2x4s with plywood, and then the puzzle mats on top of that, wood is much more forgiving than concrete.

Even some cardboard under the wood would be good. Gives just enough.

I used to wrestle at my old job in a warehouse. Man that sure does kill the knees.

Back