putting bad undercards on big main events is a terrible strategy.

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
All that does is make you more strongly consider skipping the biggest fights.

The biggest problem is that it turns off potential fans of the future - more casuals and non-fans are watching this event than most others due to the hype surrounding the main event.

That's why it's a perfect opportunity to put on a great show through-and-through. Instead, we get a mediocre (at best) product outside the main event. Those who are not yet hardcore fans will not become such after this card (as a whole).

All that does is make you more strongly consider skipping the biggest fights.

I think a better argument against putting weak undercards on huge main event PPVs is "you're going to get a lot of eyeballs that are watching just to see the main event, so you're better off putting exciting fighters and/or good fights to try to win some new fans that will then buy other PPVs in the future"

It's what killed a lot of PPV boxing thanks to greedy ass promoters.

I don't think anyone expected average/boring Lombard or cerrone fights bra

The biggest problem is that it turns off potential fans of the future - more casuals and non-fans are watching this event than most others due to the hype surrounding the main event.

That's why it's a perfect opportunity to put on a great show through-and-through. Instead, we get a mediocre (at best) product outside the main event. Those who are not yet hardcore fans will not become such after this card (as a whole).

Yeah, and the UFC formerly made a big deal about how they knew this, and how they were different from boxing because of it.

Exactly. This is the first PPV I bought in a while (because of Cormier-Jones), but I'll be strongly reconsidering the next time.

Back