push kicks and MMA

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering a while ago why we dont really see that many push kicks in MMA. After watching the Fedor/Arlovski fight again I think I have hit upon why. In the last seconds of the fight, arlovski hits fedor with one (and being a grappler of high caliber, if you can hit fedor with one safely, it can happen to anyone) what i noticed after that though, was after getting hit, fedor wasnt effected much, he just bounced off the ropes and knocked arlovski out. So the conclusion I think is that it is just not a move usefull in MMA. Good in the real life, when you need to make room (i have seen a few door men use push kicks quite well) but in MMA, you arent planning to run away. You wanna hurt the other guy, and push kicks ( teep, some side kicks etc) cant do that very well.

Thoughts?

gota disagree there man, seen many takedowns from roundhouse kicks, but not many from push kicks (could be because they are used more) but if someone like arlovski can land one safely on someone like fedor (sambo and judo user, arts heavy on takedowns and he is a champ to boot) then takedowns on them must not be so easy all the time. saw one land on crocop the other days as well.

gota disagree there man, seen many takedowns from roundhouse kicks, but not many from push kicks (could be because they are used more) but if someone like arlovski can land one safely on someone like fedor (sambo and judo user, arts heavy on takedowns and he is a champ to boot) then takedowns on them must not be so easy all the time. saw one land on crocop the other days as well.

It's still relatively easy to catch the kick on the way in and sweep them with a cut kick. Done it plenty of times myself with 16oz gloves on, even easier with 4oz.

gotta say i havnt ever seen that happen. Got any clips. I got a few clips of them working quite well.

gotta say i havnt ever seen that happen. Got any clips. I got a few clips of them working quite well.

They're quite easy to loop-sweep aside, but yeah, a few people use them well like Cung Le. Babalu surprised Lawler with his little half-ass teeps the other night.

anderson and Maia do it....................................................................................................................

. and Royce Gracie

on Average, what is faster a left round house kick or a left hook>>????

Teeping is a good move to maintain distance, which makes it easier to react in time when somebody shoots in. Maybe if the strikers in MMA weren't so afraid of the takedown, they might actually make it easier on themselves to defend the takedown. I mean, seriously, how's a guy gonna' catch your kick if you aim it at his leg? Leg kicks SHOULD be a wrestler's worst nightmare. So should knees and uppercuts.

Teeping is a good move to maintain distance, which makes it easier to react in time when somebody shoots in. Maybe if the strikers in MMA weren't so afraid of the takedown, they might actually make it easier on themselves to defend the takedown. I mean, seriously, how's a guy gonna' catch your kick if you aim it at his leg? Leg kicks SHOULD be a wrestler's worst nightmare. So should knees and uppercuts.

What happens if you throw a leg kick, and when your leg is returning your opponent shoots in?

I used teeps a bit in my last mma fight. He wanted to stand with me and I wanted on the ground so I was able to use teeps effectively to control the range and not worry about the takedown. In the last round he got desperate and tried to use a teep on me, which I caught and took him down.

Chuck Liddell did a very nice push kick against Jeremy Horn.. Sent him into the cage wall

that's true, tynsw. but I guess if it was a kick with the lead leg and you kept it short and sweet, eventually after the first couple of minutes it would start to accumulate.

Back