Purple Belt in Gracie JJ

It's definitely a matter of degrees. My primary instructor was a purple until (literally) 2 weeks ago, when he got his brown. But he mostly teaches the basics and we drill them over and over and over. It has vastly improved my game. My last class was led by a purple, and it was the same thing. My primary instructor is now a brown, and the head instructor is a brown, so it's not quite the same as having a purple as your only instructor, but even then, for a new or newer practitioner, I'm not sure it makes that much difference.

No, you don't get the same instruction you'd get from a black belt, and if YOU'RE a purple, that might be a problem. But I'm a young blue, so it works out very well for me. I NEED to master the basics, and my instructors have those down pat. And at least one of them will be a black belt long before I'm in a position to complain about the level of instruction I'm getting. Right now, they all have so much to teach me that I cannot imagine "catching up."

I am fortunate to live in a large city where I can go train with a black belt any time I want to. But even if I weren't, I don't think it's useless by any stretch to train under a purple. Just don't pay as if you were training with a black belt.

Back