Punishment for missing weight: losing a point before the fight starts?

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Why not punish a fighter for missing weight by already having them walk into the cage with a point deducted?

The opponent has the choice to refuse the fight and still get paid. That's good enough.

Punish them by making them come out to an Eminem song.

They already lose money and there's a risk of the opponent not accepting the fight. I think it's enough.

Btw, this rule exists in Kansas I believe, and some regional promotions in Brazil. IMO it doesn't work the way you think it should, many consider it already a losing battle.

Statistically, fighters who miss weight lose. Plus they get fined and have it held against them. No reason to push it IMO.

I had this exact thought before the Hendricks fight started. Really like the idea.

Statistically, fighters who miss weight lose. Plus they get fined and have it held against them. No reason to push it IMO.

I remember Stephens missing weight and beating Bermudez, who lost me my accumulator. Was not happy at the time. Also Brazilian cowboy came in way over against Brooks, and I think it made the difference during the fight.

I like it. However I think making weight should be part of the fight. If you fail to make weight, you lose the fight. It goes as an L on your record.

It's the harshest you can make it, but if it's done, no one will ever miss weight again.

Sliding scale purse penalty:

1lbs == 20%
2lbs == 30%
3lbs == 50%

It would solve the problem over night if you lose half your pay coming in 3lbs+ over.

Apparently that is already a thing by the look of the Magny/Gendricks decision.

I remember Stephens missing weight and beating Bermudez, who lost me my accumulator. Was not happy at the time. Also Brazilian cowboy came in way over against Brooks, and I think it made the difference during the fight.
I didn't say there weren't outliers (lineker being the champ there).

The data here hasn't been updated, but feel free to peruse cards from the last year and let me know the ratio.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3oqi3z/missing_weight_and_winninglosing_in_the_ufc/

I didn't say there weren't outliers (lineker being the champ there).

The data here hasn't been updated, but feel free to peruse cards from the last year and let me know the ratio.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/3oqi3z/missing_weight_and_winninglosing_in_the_ufc/

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I was just pointing out some of the times I remember the overweight person winning. Yea lineker is the worst for it. Missed weight in 2 divisions as well.

Back