Punching speed by punching?

GSPFAN101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if one throws 1000 bare knuckle punches a day at full speed would this increase his punch speed? If not how would one increase punch speed??

Hey I was wondering if one throws 1000 bare knuckle punches a day at full speed would this increase his punch speed? If not how would one increase punch speed??

you have to understand that there are different types of speed that you have to develop.

NATURAL SPEED - this is basically determined by how many fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle fibers you are genetically born with. You can't change this, but what you can do is develop the fast twitch you do have to make them more efficient. such as the exercise you explain above. also by learning to stay relaxed until the point of impact, you can make them even more efficient.

VISUAL SPEED - the sooner you can see your opponents movement, the more time you have to counter. This is where a good pad holder or partner drills can be vital to developing this type of speed.

HAND/FOOT SPEED - hand or foot speed is developed by focusing on the "retraction" vs the "extension" of the attack. Not only does it make the move faster, but it brings the limb back to the original point, so it can attack again, thus making combinations blazing fast.

Probably, but you would probably be better off doing 100 shadow box punches, 100 strike pad punches, 100 double end bag punches and 100 heavy bag punches and trying to get good quality reps.

It will, but I wouldnt like to count that high on a daily basis. You can also gain speed by resistance. Take some surgical tubing and tie it to something. Make a loop at the other end with enough slack to provide some resistance. Do your punches like that for a while, and then take the resistance off, continually increasing resistance as you progress.

That can work. You fatigue your muscles to the point that you are forced to relax. Then you start punching relaxed and you get quicker.

China Boxer actually hit the nail on the head focus on speed of retraction and you will speed up your punches.

The biggest thing is relax. Tight muscle is slow muscle. Loose muscle is fast muscle.

One important factor no one has mentioned yet is making sure you have good quality technical form.

If you have your fundamentals down the amount of reps you are proposing to do is going to help you perfect those techniques and decrease your reaction time in a fight and keep you from throwing unneccesary or sloppy punches which are going to cost you hand speed over the course of a fight.

Winging 1000 haymakers a day isn't going to help you any.

The speed-bag was invented for a reason, contrary to what many will tell you.

The speed-bag was invented for a reason, contrary to what many will tell you.

You think speed bag really develops punching speed? I work the speed bag 2-3 times a week but mostly for hand-eye and a mild shoulder work out.

What drills do you think best develop speed? I would say focus mitts and double end bag. If you have some killer speed bag drills some video would be really cool...

Speed bag is more reflex and hand eye coordination training imo, 1000 reps is also too much, plus if you do them bareknuckle you'll just hurt your hand. Go to a gym if you really want to be good.

What drills do you think best develop speed? I would say focus mitts and double end bag. If you have some killer speed bag drills some video would be really cool...

Everyone says that, it's because they don't know properly how to use the speed-bag. Here's a good idea of what it SHOULD look like to work hands, shoulder endurance, rythm, breathing, timing, interchanging of punches, foot-movement, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WyDGUIoQA

This issue comes up a lot. And out of many people even in the gym, most people look like this when they hit the speed-bag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Fz2r9zjh4

The difference should be obvious. One way will make you faster and more fluid, the other will not, and only work your shoulders, and hand-eye coordination.

And combination punch. SPEED on the speed-bag, that's what Mike's always hollerin'.

Everyone says that, it's because they don't know properly how to use the speed-bag. Here's a good idea of what it SHOULD look like to work hands, shoulder endurance, rythm, breathing, timing, interchanging of punches, foot-movement, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WyDGUIoQA

This issue comes up a lot. And out of many people even in the gym, most people look like this when they hit the speed-bag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Fz2r9zjh4

The difference should be obvious. One way will make you faster and more fluid, the other will not, and only work your shoulders, and hand-eye coordination.

Great vid, thanks.

What do you think about speedbag workouts consisting of mostly "real" punches, jabs and crosses thrown from a fighting stance, as opposed to circle punches thrown with feet square to the bag? I have been working on this style routine for a while and you can't go as fast but the punching seems more realistic.

The closer punching is not about being realistic, it's about endurance moving at a specific pace. Moving fast and being able to keep your rythm and timing at that pace allows for you to flurry better.

Doing correct punches works accuracy and speed of correct punching, of course.

It's best to mix the two like Bojado does.

Back