Punching Power

Buheamith

Behemoth
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the Muay Thai side of the game but I do have a question on how to get the most power out of your punches. I know that hooks generate a lot of power, and this power comes from the torque caused from your hips and legs. Powerful kicks are generated the same way. When throwing straight punches do you concentrate more on the torqueing of your body using your body weight, or do you focus on surging your body weight forward in a straight line to generate power. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

If you're talking about leaning your upperbody foward, its not the best idea to do this unless you're fast as Pacquiao. You get power into straights from your feet, legs, and hips just like everyother punch. You can also step in with your punch to get more power.

If you're talking about leaning your upperbody foward, its not the best idea to do this unless you're fast as Pacquiao. You get power into straights from your feet, legs, and hips just like everyother punch. You can also step in with your punch to get more power.

Yup.

TS, leaning forward's a great way to get used to eating uppercuts.

Hips people, all about the twisting of the lower body/hips, thats where 75% of your power comes from.

Leaning forward also opens you up to knees witch i would be more worried about with MT.

if your changing from head to body you dont want to lean forward bend your knees a bit its usualy all done threw your lower body.

the power comes with getting your hips core shoulders all moving properly together. you can have huge strong arms, but it wont help you if the rest of yoru body isnt working together. Also like everything your footwork needs to be right as well, basicly just train train train.

Yeah, leaning usually = bad. Just make sure you twist your whole body into the power punches.

I'm fairly new to the Muay Thai side of the game but I do have a question on how to get the most power out of your punches. I know that hooks generate a lot of power, and this power comes from the torque caused from your hips and legs. Powerful kicks are generated the same way. When throwing straight punches do you concentrate more on the torqueing of your body using your body weight, or do you focus on surging your body weight forward in a straight line to generate power. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Punching power involves a ton of different combinations. It involves speed, strength, relaxation and strong hands. On top of that you have to have full body coordination, great distancing and good muscle elasticity. Power starts at the back foot, surges forward as your hip twists, your shoulder twists and your shoulder relaxes while launching your arm(relaxed) THROUGH your target. NEVER pull your punch. Most people don't fully commit to their punches or keep their muscles tense(most people tighten their bicep at the end of a strike which in turn shortens the punch by nearly an inch which kills a lot of power) and therefore can't hit to their full potential. Just practice hard and remember, you have to use your whole body, even in jabs there is torque from throughout your body. Good luck. :icon_chee

I was always taught that you have to punch fast instead of hard. Let your technique generate the power by doing it correctly and the faster you throw the harder it hits. This is from my experience though so i dont know a lot of other schools of thought. I take karate so i dont really know the other stuff. We focus on the hip rotation and legs as well as proper distance and timing. The last two are basically what really makes our punches go from nasty to devastating because we try to catch people coming in but w/e works for you.

I never meant to "lean" forward, I meant to try and keep your upper body to move forward with your legs, or if the torque of your body causes the power as with a hook or kick.

It's ALL about weight distribution. Watch a powerful boxer work a heavy bag and you'll see their feet move with every punch, the foot movement is th start of how you get the power. In boxing people lean far, whereas in Muay Thai it is more advisable (as many have said) to stand more upright. Stil tho, turning into your punches is the way to generate power.

Punching power involves a ton of different combinations. It involves speed, strength, relaxation and strong hands. On top of that you have to have full body coordination, great distancing and good muscle elasticity. Power starts at the back foot, surges forward as your hip twists, your shoulder twists and your shoulder relaxes while launching your arm(relaxed) THROUGH your target. NEVER pull your punch. Most people don't fully commit to their punches or keep their muscles tense(most people tighten their bicep at the end of a strike which in turn shortens the punch by nearly an inch which kills a lot of power) and therefore can't hit to their full potential. Just practice hard and remember, you have to use your whole body, even in jabs there is torque from throughout your body. Good luck. :icon_chee

This is a good post. The thing I would add is that an oft overlooked aspect of punching power is in the knees. The front knee should carry forward to the point where the knee is even with the big toe - never past. The back knee travels in an eliptical motion toward the center of your target. This carries your carriage forward and enables you to put your body's weight into the punch without leaning. Relaxation is key!!!!! See above^

I was always taught that you have to punch fast instead of hard. Let your technique generate the power by doing it correctly and the faster you throw the harder it hits. This is from my experience though so i dont know a lot of other schools of thought. I take karate so i dont really know the other stuff. We focus on the hip rotation and legs as well as proper distance and timing. The last two are basically what really makes our punches go from nasty to devastating because we try to catch people coming in but w/e works for you.

Alot of people think there is a difference. And to them hard means tight and heavy. So you are correct, you just think of the term differently.

Impact is mass times excelleration.
The power of a straight cross comes from the sudden shift of body weight into a strike.

For straight punches, back muscles are also very important for power.
To increase back muscle, try hitting a tire with a sledgehammer, alternating sides between each hit. Every top boxer uses this training technique when they feel they don't posses enough power.

ok, people say "hips hips hips" which is exactly true. But many people, even seasoned martial artists and fighters let their arm and hip move simultaneously. This is not perfect. Before you strike, punches OR kicks, your hips turn first, your limb follows. Thats where the hip analogy comes from. Youll get alot more speed and power that way. Hips move first, arm or leg follows. Go on youtube and search for billiardjay - has GREAT boxing instructionals that explain this.

Back