Punching Bags: Whats a good start off weight?

Knockologist

White Belt
Reaction score
I work at Sears MPU and plan on buying a rack and punching bags.

We have a 25lb bag and before I got off of work saw a 100lbs bag so I was thinking bout buying the 100lbs bag.

Whats your take?

(BTW did a search and nothing bout punching bag weight came up)

Depends. What is this for? An example of why i ask, is that if you want power, a heavy bag is the way to go. Mike Tyson credits his punching power to the HUGE bags Cus D'Mato (R.I.P.) brought in for him. He would knock around bags that other guys couldn't move. So if you want power, big bag, if just for working out or something, around 40-60 lbs IMO.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Depends. What is this for? An example of why i ask, is that if you want power, a heavy bag is the way to go. Mike Tyson credits his punching power to the HUGE bags Cus D'Mato (R.I.P.) brought in for him. He would knock around bags that other guys couldn't move. So if you want power, big bag, if just for working out or something, around 40-60 lbs IMO.
agreed

It really does matter on what you want to do, I personally would go with the heavier bag

A 100 lb bag has many more benifits than a 25 lb bag.

I have a few bags that I use just to clean from the floor and do floor work with and I find the larger ones are much more valuable.

Chad Hamilton said:
A 100 lb bag has many more benifits than a 25 lb bag.

I have a few bags that I use just to clean from the floor and do floor work with and I find the larger ones are much more valuable.
Yea a 25 lb would do only a baby justice I need larger resistance.

So i'm going to get that 100lb bag I'm going mainly for strength going to practice with my jabs, hooks, elbows several other stikes along with kicks.

So you power clean and or jerk with the bag?

You also practice your ground game with it?

imho, it depend on how much exp. have u got with hitting a bag. if u don't have much exp with hitting a bag, then u should start off with a 25lbs bag. because if u start with the heavier bag, u might end up with bad techniq. instead of hitting the bag, u might be pushing the bag. or u might hurt ur wrist with the heavy bag if ur wrist isn't condition enough.

I have a 45 and 110lb bags. Love both for diff. things...

I've got a 115 pound bag, have trained on lighter bags and while they are good for speed, if you only get one make sure its a heavy bag, infinitely superior.

Personally i'd prefer heavier bags or the long thai bags. Not a big fan of teardrop bags unless it's for knees.

Get the heaviest bag you possibly can! I prefer bannana bags to train with.

I started with a 75lb bag, then bought a 200lb bag. At first, the 200lb bag was murder, but it was a good decision. The heavier the better.

Back