punched in the ear

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by craig hummer, Dec 21, 2005.

1. craig hummer

craig hummer Guest

i dont really train.. but a friend of mine and i were fighting (not in anger or anything) & he punched me in the ear, near the top, and its been hurting like crap for the last day or so.. did i break some cartilidge or pop a blood vessel or something?

is there anything i can do as far as home treatments aside from icing it?

2. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

Is it starting to swell at all? Or fill up with fluid? You might be in for cauliflower ear.

3. Foul Breath

Foul Breath Banned Banned

GUANTANAMO TORTURE = WAR ON TERROR. For your 'free
    If it is cauliflower ear you will have to see a doctor who will suck out the fluid with a needle. its the only and best way to fix your ear.

4. meng_mao

meng_mao this belt has flava

Also, don't just fight/spar if you don't know what you're doing. That should prevent future injury.

5. craig hummer

craig hummer Guest

it's swollen up a little bit.. i might try stabbing it with a needle or something and squeezing out the fluid.. i'll do my best to avoid infection..

and as far as not fighting, i doubt that will happen.. we've probably fought a hundred times.. it's pretty fun, especially when you're not expecting it.. it keeps you sharp, and it's pretty damned fun.

thanks for the advice.

6. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

Don't try to squeeze it out. Get a syringe and extract the blood.

7. meng_mao

meng_mao this belt has flava

If you like it, you probably will like sparring when you do know when it'll happen. At least get some gloves and mouthpieces to protect yourselves.

8. thaiboxgrappler

thaiboxgrappler ******* *******

Yes.

9. Michael Wanaka

Michael Wanaka Amateur Fighter

Don't stab yourself with a needle. If it's swollen take advil/ibuprofen and ice it to reduce the swelling.

10. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

That's not enough. Cauliflower ear begins with a hematoma. Trust me, just go to the doctor if you don't want cauliflower ear. They'll do a much better job than you can.

After extracting the blood, the doctor needs to sew in a "clamp," which basically is like a piece of cotton on either side of your ear. It acts like a clothespin, keeping pressure on to stop more fluid from coming into your ear. If you just drain it, chances are it's just going to fill back up with fluid.

The cotton stays on for a week, looks a little bit weird, but better than cauliflower ear I guess. I really would not recommend a do-it-yourself job. It's like 25 dollars to get it done by a professional if you have health insurance.

11. ACR4V3N

ACR4V3N Blue Belt

About two months ago, after I just beat a little punk kid up, he slapped me in the ear trying to start back up the fight. why he would do this after i just beat him? cause his bro showed up, but thats not the point. He hit my ear super hard and stuff started to come out of it. It stayed purple and discolored for almost 2 weeks, and was a little sore. After awhile it just went down and there was no problem with it. Im not sure how your ear is, but mine was not looking good, and still got better. Im not saying your ear will be fine, and you should go to a doctor, but there still could be hope.

12. monkey roll

monkey roll Green Belt

this is the funniest thing ever! This guy is stabbing him self in the ear and fighting his buds at random. I hope the next time he hits on in the nuts, then you won't be able to reproduce any offspring!

13. FStep

FStep Brown Belt

don't do it yourself man you'll have a very good chance of getting an infection and it will hurt like hell just go to the doc

14. craig hummer

craig hummer Guest

quick update.. the ear is just fine now.. i wasnt able to drain much fluid out it.. but the swelling is not even noticable.. and the only pain is when i start squeezing it at one certain point, and even then the pain is very minimal.

15. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

Cauliflower is sexy. I like mine...

16. David McGraw

David McGraw Amateur Fighter

AHAHA! You have cauliflauer ear. Wear headgear, spar with your friend, and put your foot in his ass! That'll get him back.

17. beatin'stick

beatin'stick Blue Belt

Cauliflour ear is the result of the skin shearing loos from the cartilage and/or cartilage breaking. If it's minor it will take some time to heal but will be no big deal. Major needs medical attn. The ear fils up with blood, but can't drain well so it sids there. Over time your body will add a crummy repair job and you get a calcified, gristly ear. I second using pads and maybe joining a gym.