Pulling Guard / Getting to Full Guard

Higher Learning

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ATM I am spending about a month just working closed guard as part of a series of 'focus months' where I specifically work to develop parts of my game...

I am finding that one of the hardest parts of this right now is just achieving a full closed guard against a skilled opponent that really doesn't want you to get there, does anyone have any tips for effectively getting to closed guard from open guard? any video tutorials?

I was looking for more advanced stuff on this as well as I have been traiing for a few years and do understand how to pull guard etc its the smaller technical details I am looking for

Carlos “Portugues” Vieira

Watch his matches. He does something with his foot as a hook on the shin to get to closed guard from open. I can't describe it.

standing or open gauard really, i don't fight from my knee's

Damien Maia covers nicely the pulling guard from standing.

I saw the vid but do not have any link on the net.

It is about not jumping straight into guard but moving to an ankle to avoid him having his hips square which make it too easy to block the pulling guard.

hard to explain but the vid was awesome.

funny you should mention that... a close friend of mine trains under carlos and recently did a private on this exact subject & he actually showed me that technique... fkn problem is that it was about 2 months ago and I have forgotten all the details :-( I am trying to catch up with him soon to go over it again

Can you post the details when you get them, please?

Closed guard is something I have been working on for a couple of months, but have had to avoid it the last month because of competition, and I am avoiding it for the next 4 weeks for the same reason.

to TS, what is you basic controls of your opponent?

one hand on sleeve, one hand on collar? right or left leg foward? sumo stance? one hand on each sleeve?

to TS, what is you basic controls of your opponent?

one hand on sleeve, one hand on collar? right or left leg foward? sumo stance? one hand on each sleeve?

changes depending on how they are trying to throw me / pass... right now i am preventing the pass and getting to guard most of the time but it is taking ages against the better guys

i am watching vieira clips now, i think i remember some of what i was shown after seeing him do it

it is the side which you control the hand which you will put your first foot on.

you control his right hand with your left hand, you put your left foot on his right hip.

If you do not control his hand, then he will just use it to block your foot and your attempt of pulling guard.

watch vieira from about 2:30 here, he is very clever about how he works for the closed guard... the shin trick MUFC mentioned is at 3:20... I am pretty clear on the errors i was making now and am keen to try this out all week :-D... fk i love jiujitsu, the problem solving is very addictive!!!

Back