Psychedelic hero Alexander Shulgin nearing death(update: he has passed)

weich

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We are still blessed in that he has no pain -- or when he does have a twinge or even a needle-strike, it's over immediately, and we haven't had to give him any of the strong pain medicines which Hospice has available. We hope it continues that way.

But everything else is not good news. He's holding on to life, or at least his body is fighting the good fight (he was always extremely strong and healthy, until a few years ago), and it's possible that he may live to see his 89th birthday, but we can't be sure. For that matter, he may stay with us for several months more, but we would be surprised if he did.

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/01/psychedelic-hero-alexander-shu.html

From the wiki on Shulgin:

Alexander "Sasha" Theodore Shulgin[2] (born June 17, 1925) is an American medicinal chemist, biochemist, pharmacologist, psychopharmacologist, and author. Shulgin is credited with introducing MDMA (an ingredient of "ecstasy") to psychologists in the late 1970s for psychopharmaceutical use. He discovered, synthesized, and personally bioassayed over 230 psychoactive compounds, and evaluated them for their psychedelic and/or entactogenic potential.

In 1991 and 1997, he and his wife Ann Shulgin authored the books PIHKAL and TIHKAL (standing for Phenethylamines and Tryptamines I Have Known And Loved), which extensively described their work and personal experiences with these two classes of psychoactive drugs. Shulgin performed seminal work into the descriptive synthesis of many of these compounds. Some of Shulgin's noteworthy discoveries include compounds of the 2C* family (such as 2C-B) and compounds of the DOx family (such as DOM).

Due in part to Shulgin's extensive work in the field of psychedelic research and the rational drug design of psychedelic drugs, he has since been dubbed the "godfather of psychedelics".[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Shulgin

I found out who Shulgin was after he did an interview in Playboy, probably sometime around 2003 or 2004. He came across a really smart and interesting guy.

Liver cancer is a bad way to go, but I am happy he is with his family and not in tremendous pain.

Edit: Shulgin passed away yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't think he was still alive.

Thanks for the good times, Sasha.

Never heard of him.

He is probably best known for the guy that brought MDMA to the mainstream. Most people don't know that for a while it was a prescription drug used to increase intimacy between couples.

His books are really interesting. Hopefully he dies peacefully.

I don't respect him more than Albert Hoffman, but he's ok in my book. Time to go end the book how you started it, old chum. Enjoy the final trip.

Pretty cool documentary on him, the full thing is on youtube.

For those of you wondering who he is, if youve ever done ecstasy, lsd, or any other synthetic psychedelic drug, theres a good chance it was synthesized using his formulas.

lol at "psychedelic hero."

So you're the guy that really does read playboy for the articles??!

I enjoy the pictorials, but yeah, I read the articles. They usually get pretty candid interviews and they've had a lot of great writers do short stories.

lol at "psychedelic hero."

It's a pretty ridiculous title, but I just copied the title of the article I linked to in the OP.

I think that over the next 50 years there will be a lot of research indicating the true value of psychedelic drugs in the treatment of depression, PTSD, and other similar conditions.

I saw a documentary on him, he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

He introduced mdma to America and in doing so, created a subculture of terrible music.

RIP

For those that listen to the psychedelic salon podcasts , Lorenzo Hagerty will likely have further coverage and updates concerning shulgins passing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back