Protein Shake at Work

Peredhil

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been reading about the best times to take shakes, but with my job, I cannot figure out when I should take it.

About my job:

I work for a junk removal company. A day could last anywhere between 8 and 13 hours. I average around 8 different jobs a day, which could be lifting anywhere between 10lbs and 100lbs objects (usually several of differing weights). I would say that me and my co-worker for the day would lift around 2-3 tonnes of junk a day. The time spent at a job is around 45 minutes, and driving to the various locations could be 30mins to an hour.

So I am not really sure when the best time for me to take a protein shake would be. Before I begin my day? Around lunch? After work? Split between mid-morning and mid-afternoon?

Any advice would certainly help a lot. And if something like this has already been answered, I apologize, I tried using the search button but could find nothing.

It may not really matter depending on the rest of your diet.

Have a good sized breakfast in the morning, that is high in protein, and then have a good sized lunch during the day, that is also high in protein. Protein takes time to absorb, and chances are that you're fine and don't need it. If you really insist on it, take it sometime during the day. As long as you don't have some ridiculous stretches between your meal, I'm sure you're fine. IMO, save your shakes for PWO when you don't plan on eating after your workout.

I really don't think it's going to matter much. I suppose technically you could take it after "lifting junk" if it's that taxing.

I think questions like this get asked because of an odd misperception that "protein shakes" are vastly different from things we normally think of as "food." Once you realize how similar they are, questions like this seem a bit bizarre.

I think questions like this get asked because of an odd misperception that "protein shakes" are vastly different from things we normally think of as "food." Once you realize how similar they are, questions like this seem a bit bizarre.

This is true. Protein shakes are neither medicine nor some secret potion. They're food. The question is similar to asking "when do you think I should eat my sandwich during work?" Eat it when you're hungry or just when you damn well feel like it.

Back