protein ?s, gnc megawhey 27% cholesterol? whey vs soy

supmaynnn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
my roomate has a container of GNC MEGAWHEY that he doesnt use. how good is this brand of protein? i read the label and i noticed the 27% daily cholesterol that it gives with 3 scoops of it

are all whey protein brands pretty much the same? do some have lower cholesterol numbers than others? i did some searching and noticed a lot of mentions for MUSCLE MILK, ON, cytogainer. are they pretty much the same or is it generally better as the prices get higher?

how is whey compared to soy, someone has told me that soy is better but i dont see much information about soy protein

also this might sound dumb but what are the benefits of using a whey protein shake as a snack
im not as much trying to gain muscle as much as i am trying to lose fat, my aim isnt to gain weight, but would i just get fatter if i just take protein without working out? what if
im trying to eat less and lose fat, would i also lose muscle along with the fat because i am not taking in as much protein. can whey/soy protein be a kind of meal replacement if this is my goal?

For building muscles soy is not a good choice. Stick with Whey protein. Also, the difference between Whey proteins is how it is filtered (some will say this even really does not matter). Also, some whey protein powders have carbs, fats and vitamins in them and some do not. 100% Whey by ON is a good one. You just need to add some carbs to it when taking it after a workout. I like to add honey to it, and it does not have all the fat and cholesterol in it.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
For building muscles soy is not a good choice. Stick with Whey protein. Also, the difference between Whey proteins is how it is filtered (some will say this even really does not matter). Also, some whey protein powders have carbs, fats and vitamins in them and some do not. 100% Whey by ON is a good one. You just need to add some carbs to it when taking it after a workout. I like to add honey to it, and it does not have all the fat and cholesterol in it.

Wolverine
///

soy is not a good choice for ANYTHING!... i'm taking soy out of my diet completely.. (except soy sauce! :wink: )
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=301000&page=4&pp=20

and as for whey powders being the same... yes and no, yes bcuz they all basically have the same stuff.. no bcuz they don't all have the same quality like whey protein isolates, concentrates, and hydrolysates.. plus many use artificial sweeteners which i personally don't like about most brands..

supersudo said:
plus many use artificial sweeteners which i personally don't like about most brands..

ON has a 100% Whey version that is Natural. They use Stevia instead of the artifical sweetners. This is the one that I usually get.

Wolverine
///

I use ON's whey. Here's a nice little shake I make post workout that does wonders.

ON Vanilla Ice Cream 100% Whey
1/2 a banana
2 tablespoons of apple cinnamon flavored Lecithin Granules (for the choline)
4 ice cubes
2 cups skim milk

Comes out nice and good tasing. The banan has the sugar to replenish glycogen stores, the whey and the milk are good mix of proteins (the milk being caseinate), the choline from the lecithin good for the brain (among other things). It works well for me.

Wow, that's ridiculously high. I don't know why it's that high. What's the serving size? AlltheWhey's WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate) contains only 9% per serving.

Any WPC is gonna be relatively high in cholesterol. The Isolates tend to have much less (some as low as 1%).

Don't forget, cholesterol is a good thing.

Hey Madmick... are you just catching up with all the post?? LOL!

Every thread I went into this morning you were updating something that was discussed a few days ago! LOL!

Just messing with you.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:
Hey Madmick... are you just catching up with all the post?? LOL!

Every thread I went into this morning you were updating something that was discussed a few days ago! LOL!

Just messing with you.

Wolverine
///

Yeah, I usually don't frequent the forums on the weekends. Tuesday is my first night of work- my Monday so to speak- and I hardly feel like working.

Back