Protein requirements after stretching

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by toetagga, Jan 26, 2006.

1. toetagga

toetagga White Belt

Should I be aiming for the same protein intake after flexibility training as I do after weight training? Will the usual mass-building supplements aid in muscle length as well as muscle mass?

I've been downing a protein shake after my flexibility sessions just to ensure my body has the necessary materials to rebuild torn fibres, assuming that my muscles will be hungry for protein like they are after doing weights. Is this right?

2. Evil Eye Gouger

Evil Eye Gouger Gold Belt

Why on Earth would you need protein after flexibility training?

It is true that (minimal) hypertrophy can result as a result of stretching, and that certain stretches (PNF and isometric) also increase muscle strength. But this muscle strength is mostly the result of the improved CNS coordination, and not any muscle building.

If you feel that you need to "rebuild" muscles, specifically increase their length after stretching, then I'm willing to bet that you're not stretching properly.