protein from rice, pasta, beans, ...?

Ivica Truscek

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
can you count the protein from rice, pasta, beans, and similar "carb" food like the protein from meat, or for some reason you cant ?
its 10-20 % of protein and 50-70 % of carbs in them, so you can eat app. 1/3 less meat if you count them
or not ?

You might get better results from the Nutrition board. I count all dietary and supplementary protein that I eat. Who knows if that's right... Eat whole foods and train hard.

Beans are good for protein. They are the main source for a lot or people around here. I am pretty sure you count all the protein you take in. There have been some succesful vegetarian body builders remember, so there must be some value to non-meat proteins. I don't think there is a diference, except int he other sorts of chemicals that the meat will have (like creatine in red meats, or iron).

Protein from vegetables have less amino-acids (dont know the correct word in english) wich makes them less efficient. Protein from meat, fish, chicken, milk and so forth have more aminoacids wich makes the protein more accessible for the body to digest (dont know the right word here either).

So, no, you cant replace protein with vegateble protein, if so, you have to eat more...

those proteins are what are known as incomplete proteins because they lack certain essential amino acids.

Yeah, and the PER values of protein from beans and rice and such are lower than that of eggs, chicken, beef, etc.

But it still counts toward your daily total. You want some of your protein to come from vegetarian sources.

Back