Protein/carb supplementation during a grappling workout

shaftoe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading the posts about the benefits of a 2:1 mixture of carbs to protein in the pre-/peri-/post-workout phase. I understood many of these posts to apply to weight training. Do similar benefits exist for the intake of protein/carbs during a grappling workout?

I usually consume a liter of water during BJJ training sessions, which last from 1.5 to 2 hours. Would it be better to add some sugars and whey to this drink? I'm also curious about the effects this may have on my stomach during extended intense rolling or conditioning drills. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

I dont put protein in mine but have glucose in the water instead, around 8g of powder per 100ml of water. i find it helps in longer sessions, especially if i do two in a row. i add a quarter teaspoon of salt too.

Never tried it with protein for the reason you stated about digestion as i cant find one that really mixes well. plus it's expensive!

Would it be better to add some sugars and whey to this drink?

Yes, but try to avoid excessive amounts of fructose. Glucose based carbs are what you're after... dextrose, Maltadextrin, Waxy Maize Starch... those are cool.

I'm also curious about the effects this may have on my stomach during extended intense rolling or conditioning drills.

A lot of people here use a carb/protein solution during all types of training. Many elite athletes do the same. I've never heard of anyone having an issue. You only need 5-20 grams of protein for an hour of training (depending on your carb:protein ratio), so it's not like you're consuming much. If you are overly sensitive to protein for some reason just start out on the low end and see how things go. If you stick with the 2:1 ratio, 30g carbs and 15g protein is probably a decent target to shoot for per hour. Anywhere from 2:1 to 4:1 is a decent ratio for carbs:protein.

I have a TP mixture that is

50% dextrose
30% maltodextrin
20% whey protein isolate

I use it for everything I do athletic. I actually don't notice the usefulness as much in weight training as I do when I play football or basketball. Carbs and protein are extremely good for any physical activity (even cleaning the house or doing yard work)

Edit: there is no science behind the dextrose / malto ratio. It is purely for taste, dextrose tastes much more pleasant than maltodextrin IMO. My next mixture will be 50% malto and 30% dextrose. I'm experimenting with changing the ratio slowly, as to not get something that tastes like balls

i started out sipping:

50g gatorade powder
30g whey
5g BA
5g creatine mono

during jiu-jitsu and I found that it dramatically increased my ability to wrestle after we had done conditioning, then technique, then positional sparring. I HIGHLY suggest some type of carb/protein drink during grappling. Berardi suggests a 30g carb / 15g protein per hour so my 50/30 was almost right on for a 2 hour class.

I've recently purchased some stuff from TP so my new shake will be:

60g WMS
16g whey isolate CF
14g whey hydrosylate
5g beta alanine
5g creatine

I expect to have similiar results but now I won't need to take it all in at once PWO (I don't feel right taking that all in right before bed).

you know what professional cyclists do during a race? drink a can of coke. it's got salts, super high GI carbs, and a little caffeine, all of which are good when you're getting your sweat on. i believe some european universities have even studied it's effects and found them to be superior to the marketed supplements.

dragonfire- have you ever tried creatine ethyl ester? it's alot more effective than monohydrate, and doesn't have any of the sides.

dragonfire- have you ever tried creatine ethyl ester? it's alot more effective than monohydrate, and doesn't have any of the sides.

..............are you sure

yes. i like the effercescent stuff alot better too.

you know what professional cyclists do during a race? drink a can of coke. it's got salts, super high GI carbs, and a little caffeine, all of which are good when you're getting your sweat on. i believe some european universities have even studied it's effects and found them to be superior to the marketed supplements.

Thats odd, I recently switched back to monohydrate from ~4 months on CEE. I've been PRing every week since, and only gained about 3 pounds (including any muscle gain).

Don't use CEE, it's potential crap.

Coke is a 50/50 combo of fructose and glucose. Not super high gi, just regular ole high gi.

I can't get on in grappling after drinking fizzy stuff. tried lucozade before but it's way too gassy and doesnt seem to go down well. Wouldn be a problem in cycling as the upper body's not churning around as much.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try adding some simple sugars and protein to my drink and see if I see an improvement in my performance.

Back