Protein/carb ratio

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by creepingcharlie, Sep 2, 2005.

1. creepingcharlie

creepingcharlie Blue Belt

I'm ordering protein from trueprotein.com. I've never used protein shakes before, but I thought I read something on here about needing to mix it with carbs? Is this true and if so what ratio?

2. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

It depends on who you ask. Most RD's are warring with the current super-high protein fad.

Even the bodybuilders I know don't go above 1:1 ratio. I've been doing that for a long time, but I'm switching to approximately a 3:1 ratio. I take 1.5g/kg carbohydrates (Maltodextrin) and 0.65g/kg protein (75% Hydrosylates, 25% Microfiltrated Whey) in my post-workout shake. I may reduce this, though, it's a lot of calories, and I'm gaining weight (lean mass, hey, not complaining, but I need to cut...be it muscle or fat). But this is for strength training workouts, not martial arts or cardio-only workouts.

3. grapling101

grapling101 Brown Belt

I am at a 1 to 1 ratio most of the time. If I want to lean out the it changes, I will drop my carbs and increase my protiens.

4. ballsout

ballsout Blue Belt

yep for summertime i go 2:1 in favor of protein.

Always worked like a charm .