Protein Bar Question.

48LawsOfPower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but Its a genuine one never the less. Ok all these protein bars have good protein rates but my question is, they all come in flavors like Choclate Chip Cookie Dough and Vanilla yogurt and Chocolate this. My question is how is this healthy for you? I NEVER eat sweets in my diet, why does it make sense to make an exception for a bar that appears and tastes sweet? Wouldnt htis be bad for me? Isnt it better to get my protein sources from say..chicken or fish?> I just dont undrstand the advantage to these "protein bars" that just seem like candy bars to me. Whats the deal?

I would appreciate some input.

They are used a conveinent meal on the run. Chicken or fish would be better.

But you cant always get a good chicken breast in the middle of class.... so you whip out a protein bar, and a bottle of water.

Gsoares2 said:
They are used a conveinent meal on the run. Chicken or fish would be better.

But you cant always get a good chicken breast in the middle of class.... so you whip out a protein bar, and a bottle of water.

i realize that they are portable, my question is basicaly wouldnt your diet idealy be better with out them at all.

It depends what you are replacing the bars with. If you can eat a regular meal with clean foods then yeah you would be better off. But if you are going to MCDonalds for a quick bite then the bars are better.

Bars are used to supplement your diet when you can't get a real meal in. Some people like myself can't always sit down and have "good" meal so the bars work out well for me.

Surf

I only eat them when I'm on the run. It's to me kind of like instead of eating a bowl of cereal, you get a cereal bar. So instead of having the time to sit down and eat lunch I grab a protein bar. But I don't really have them as a part of my diet.

They're usually high-gly, which can be useful for post-workout, but is horrible for meal replacement. That's why I don't like them for "eating on the run." I think Kabuki covered the drawbacks to protein bars once, you might dig it up.

On the other hand, the original powerbars are a grain-derived food source nearest the lowest end of the glycemic index in that group.

That's usually what I get is a powerbar. Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like a meal replacement, but it's something that will fill me up if I don't have the chance to sit down and eat.

If you don't eat sweets don't start now with protein bars. I love splenda to sweeten things and I have only heard one bad thing about it that I have heard that actually makes me want to limit my useage of it, even though its no calorie. A doctor on the radio or something said the main problem with all these sugar substitutes is that it gives people a sweet tooth.

I have learned to hate sugar in coffee, just a bit of cream and I love it. With adding splenda to drinks I need some sweetness in ice tea, and I'm sure I could have gotten used to it without it. I go through phases where I need something sweet after dinner, then I decide to diet and its killer always craving something after dinner that is sweet. Then, for a few weeks I eat some fruit (oranges and strawberries mostly) and it takes some time to get out of that habit. This is parallel to BoxingFanNoMore on sweet protein drinks. I think if you don't mind the not sweet taste, go with it, don't get in the habit of always having sweet things.

48LawsOfPower said:
This may seem like a stupid question but Its a genuine one never the less. Ok all these protein bars have good protein rates but my question is, they all come in flavors like Choclate Chip Cookie Dough and Vanilla yogurt and Chocolate this. My question is how is this healthy for you? I NEVER eat sweets in my diet, why does it make sense to make an exception for a bar that appears and tastes sweet? Wouldnt htis be bad for me? Isnt it better to get my protein sources from say..chicken or fish?> I just dont undrstand the advantage to these "protein bars" that just seem like candy bars to me. Whats the deal?

I would appreciate some input.
No matter what flavour, you want to have a look at the sugar count. Some are just packed, you want to avoid these ones.

The ones that genuinely taste like a snickers bar are probably just that. These companies have all kinds of chemists that are responsible for re-creating p-nut butter, and banana flavor, hence the kind of shitty cardboard taste that is usually assciated with meal replacement/energy bars.

I have one on occasion when I am extremely busy at work. I have the Labrada peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie dough ones. I bought a box incase I get stuck working overtime or whatever.

Yeah, ideally it would be better to not have them at all but I think if you're stuck, they're alright.

Back