Protect eyes or stop sparring

JohnsCurry

White Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering if any of the headgear will effectively protect my eyeballs from getting punched.

Unfortunately, It seems that visibility MUST go down if vision protection must go up, but is there any that offer great eyeball protection without too much loss of visibility?

I was looking into several.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...de=as2&tag=whmeswa-20&linkId=HEQR47X6P4RLXOGL

This one looks allright, but it looks like the eyeballs could still get hit if a punch goes straight into the eye.

or

http://www.titlemma.com/title-faces...vx3Twn-p5cdskwg2zMNLdK2kvWEVTI3rBsaAhXx8P8HAQ

The second one looks more promising, as the eye protection sticks out a bit preventing a punch from reaching the eye ball, but it looks like that plastic would break right off...

I've also looked at the ones with the actual cage, but I'm imagining a punch to the eyes would move the whole mask backwards and I'd get punched with a metal cage?

I know there are other threads on headgear, but I'm specifically focused on protecting my vision. Any experience or recommendations? My gut says the second one with the plastic sticking out a bit but.. Looking for your opinions. :cool:

You could try asking this in the gear and equipment subforum as well

I'm not sure how to answer this. What type of sparring? boxing? kb/muay thai? mma?

Are there reasons why you're concerned about your vision? Vision loss isn't something that usually happens from being punched with gloves (exceptions due to poke, or socket damage, yes, but eyeball damage from punching is not common)

Ah. Thank you.. I'll try asking in that forum.

But it's for general purpose standing-striking. I'm doing Muay Thai now, would like to give boxing a go sometime.

My right eye is significantly worse than my left eye, and I'm southpaw, and my stance (and possibly me sucking) is causing my right eye to take 90% of the blows, and I need 20/20 vision for a career I'm trying to get into. Scratched cornea, retinal detachment, or anything similar to that will put a permanent stop to my goals. Trying to get into BUD/S and my right eye is barely good enough.

But it's for general purpose standing-striking. I'm doing Muay Thai now, would like to give boxing a go sometime.

My right eye is significantly worse than my left eye, and I'm southpaw, and my stance (and possibly me sucking) is causing my right eye to take 90% of the blows, and I need 20/20 vision for a career I'm trying to get into. Scratched cornea, retinal detachment, or anything similar to that will put a permanent stop to my goals. Trying to get into BUD/S and my right eye is barely good enough.

I don't see why you would risk your future career just to spar, but that's just me.

I would think you're more likely to have a freak accident in BUDS training then a freak boxing accident.

But you could always switch to orthodox to protect your eye like in Rocky II.

You want to get into BUD/s and youre worried about sparring damaging your eyes? I dont know all that much about the military but isnt that way for dangerous that sparring in the gym? I train with a full face gear because i really cant show up to work with black eyes(my clients would look at me like im crazy), and ive broken my nose before and dont want it to happen again. I have the Everlast MX headgear and its basically impossible to get hit in the eye...unless youre sparring Jon Jones.

That one with the plastic cage looks like you should be playing little league.

I could be wrong, but isnt the chance of your eye getting damaged pretty small, especially with headgear? I've lost some contacts when grappling or boxing, but never got any eye damage. And I never even use headgear.

Anyway, if you're that worried, I'd stop sparring for a while.

the worst i've had so far is when my eyelashes get turned inside out from a punch, which is just annoying more than anything, and perhaps a result of my genetic curse of beautiful long eyelashes

i don't see how there'd be any risk if you wore head gear that had decent cheek protection. a glove isn't even going to make contact. i'd be more concerned outside the gym with bugs or dirt in the wind getting in my eyes if the stakes were that high.

If you're trying to get into BUD/S, your sight is the least of your problem. Now drop and gimme 200

LOL - You're not gonna get punched in the eye unless you're sparring with mma gloves or something... You don't need a face shield either. You're just gonna look like a kook at the gym.

What I did was get a helmet with a heavy clear plastic face shield, saw the face shield in half to remove the mouth area and just keep eyes/nose, and tied the sawed half to a soft boxing helmet. So it's basically a boxing helmet + eye protection. But I haven't been sparring hard, I'm not sure how well it would hold up for that, it would depend on your sewing/tying skills

I've never had anything happen to my face or eyes. Except once when i got head kicked i got a bit bruised under the eye.

Back