Pros/cons of Renegade, Cageside, KOFG shins

NoLimits1987

White Belt
Reaction score
Just what the title says... for people who have used these before what would you say are the pros and cons of each brand? they are all around the same price and all have pretty good reviews now its time to make a final decision based upon the input I get from this thread. I'm looking for a reason to get one over another, they will be used for a mix of sparring and grappling.

KO are hard! But take hard hits (and give hard hits too).
Regular Velcro straps...heavy foot guard that digs into your toes if you don't get the right size.

Cageside are thinner and more polite.
Neoprene and Velcro combo strap for a excellent fit.

Harder compact...KO
Comfort and grappling...Cageside

I've got the Renegades, I really like them. They don't move at all, but sometimes the little closure pieces on the back jab into the back of my knee.

I put a comparison of Cageside, Fairtex standard and KO in the review section a while back.

I push the Cagesides in our Gym as I think they are a happy medium.
We work going from Kicking range to Clinch to Takedowns and Grappling a lot.

The Fairtex are good for developing form and not feeling anything (for kicker AND the Kickee).
The KO are for hard contact but if you hit someone on the quads with the KO they will KNOW you hit them.
The raised Shin protector is hard.

As I mentioned above, the foot guard on the KO irritated the top of my foot.
The cageside straps have Neoprene them and makes them stretch a bit for a better fit.

If u find the review JKDNash post it up,I thought I got all references to KO,Cageside and Renegade but there were 35 pages I went thru...

cagesides are the best I've owned...maybe not the best if you are trying to chop down a tree with your legs, but they are firm enough for moderate to intense sparring and they don't slip when you transition to the ground.

have you tried the hayabusa shins? my damn gloves from CSI are too big and I got the smallest size available so I am selling them to a friend. At this point I think I am going to get a "package" with mma gloves + shins so I am thinking cageside shins + shorts + gloves or a Hayabusa package (shins + mma gloves/training gloves).

Back