Proper size for grappling?

Satyricus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I know this isn't really about "Grappling Technique" but I figured this would be the right forum.

So, I weight only about 130lbs at 5'10 meaning I'm ridiculously skinny. Should I gain some mass and strength before trying BJJ/Sub? Are there guys my size at the gyms training grappling ..

Check it out, slim, just get your skinny ass out on the mats! You will love it and get addicted to it just like all the other grappling nuts on this forum!

Seriously, people of all shapes and sizes grapple. There is no discrimination. Just go out and remember to have FUN.

The idea that you should train before starting the activity is usually just a way of avoiding getting started. Just start training.

im built like you, a little heavier though. dont worry about it, get out there and try it. long legs help as well...

Every build has its ups and downs.
80kg overweight can nevertheless be a disadvantage because you fatigue too fast, but anything withing normal variations is ok usually.

Well, thanks for the support guys. I'm giving it a try and if I get overrun then I just stick with striking.

Satyricus said:
Well, thanks for the support guys. I'm giving it a try and if I get overrun then I just stick with striking.

I think you are focusing on the wrong part of this situation.

You are 5'10 and 130LBs?!?! You don't need to put on mass to grapple, you need to put on some mass for HEALTH reasons. You are much too thin, I fear malnourishment.

On another note, if you get overrun, that dont mean shit man. Most people, at any weight, at any height, get overrun when they just start, some get dominated for MONTHS before they start showing obvious improvements. Just stick with it if you are really interested in it. The only way to fail, is to quit...

Damn I can't get over that... 5'10 130lbs... I'm 5'8 160lbs and people still call me skinny...!

Satyricus said:
... if I get overrun then I just stick with striking.

If MMA has taught you anything at all you will realise A CHAIN IS ONLY AS STRONG AS IT'S WEAKEST LINK.

If you are serious about becoming a well rounded fighter please man up and try new things.

TheVandalz said:
Damn I can't get over that... 5'10 130lbs... I'm 5'8 160lbs and people still call me skinny...!

Both of you skinny fockers need to eat. McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell 10-packs, butter, fried everything...jeez, go to the local soup kitchen if you have to and load up.

JK...maybe you're both just young and burn up all kinds of calories. You'll bulk up eventually. Just keep grappling. Us fatties don't mind it at all...

Just keep grappling slim shady. Some of the best grapplers I know have long skinny bodies, and they simply compensate what they lack in raw weight lift strength with stamina, flexibility, and technique.

I was 5'10" 135 lbs for the state wrestling championships and placed 3rd. People always said that they hated wrestling me because I am flexible like no other and am able o do moves that short stocky wrestlers can't. Plus you have lots of length over guys your weight, so it will be hard for them to control your limbs.

I was 6' 140lbs when i started bjj. I noticed that a combination of getting older and doing bjj I put on mass. I work out occasionally and now I weigh 165, and that was 2 years ago. I say just get as much training in as you can and put on mass on the way.

Well, im 5'10 and 150, EVERYBODY calls me skinny dude, im 16 and a a blue belt in BJJ, and i absolutely love it! Sure, i got my ass HANDED to me the first 3 months, BUT I STUCK WITH IT! Ive been doin it a little over 2 yrs now and i can tell you, strength and size doesnt make any difference in BJJ/Sub grappling..Shit, look at Marcelo Garcia, how he used his GREAT BJJ in the open weight division of Abu Dhabi in May, and he only weighed 145LBs for that tournament and took 3rd place in the open weight division...THAT guy is fuckin bad...

DMcKayBJJ said:
Both of you skinny fockers need to eat. McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell 10-packs, butter, fried everything...jeez, go to the local soup kitchen if you have to and load up.

JK...maybe you're both just young and burn up all kinds of calories. You'll bulk up eventually. Just keep grappling. Us fatties don't mind it at all...

Yeah i've always had trouble with my weight. I'm 23. My target weight is 175, and compete as a 159 lw or 169 ww... havent' decided yet, right now im competing as a 149lb featherweight. At GQ 8 I lost in the LW division (159lb) to a 175lb wrestler who had less than a year of BJJ. He scored with a takedown, I maintained position, swept him, had a slight advantage + submission attempts, then he swept me and I couldn't move to defend his americana, I was EXHAUSTED. Lost to americana 3 1/2 minutes in to it :( I weighed in at only 152 lbs and Ryan Greg even offered me anohter hour to drop 3 lbs to go at it in featherweight, but I still don't know why I refused... dumb me.

I'm about 165 lbs and also 6'0"... being skinny is great for lots of submissions since you need to be flexible.

How skinny you are has nothing to do with it. It is all about how much heart you have.

You know, BJJ was made for the skinny guy like yourself, to beat the big guy. Ever seen Royce in the early UFC's?

Satyricus said:
Well I know this isn't really about "Grappling Technique" but I figured this would be the right forum.

So, I weight only about 130lbs at 5'10 meaning I'm ridiculously skinny. Should I gain some mass and strength before trying BJJ/Sub? Are there guys my size at the gyms training grappling ..

honestly id put on some size. you dont NEED to but some more weight/strength would go a looong ways for a guy of ur weight at that height.

normally id say screw it cuz training w/ bigger/stronger guys will make ur technique better but that's very light for you're height. You're likely to get super frustrated because you will be so weak you'll hardly be able to even get positioning for a looong time.

Definately get into grappling but gain a few lbs of muscle and eat ur ass off(with healty food, not junk food).

Hamit Aktas said:
You know, BJJ was made for the skinny guy like yourself, to beat the big guy. Ever seen Royce in the early UFC's?

yeah but unfortunately bjj has come a long way since then. big strong guys are now learning the same techniques the skinny/lighter guys are learning... thus making the weight advantage significant again.

plus , a small guy at 130 is gonna do better then a tall/lanky guy at 130. Even helio was 5 lbs heavier than this guy and shorter than 5'10...

'n he was considered extremely light.

Back