Proper Protien Administration

MisterChase

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the protient consumption business, and have chosen ON [Optimum Nutrition] for the brand of choice. It was chosen largely because it is the No. 1 selling brand on bodybuilding.com, which seems to be a very noteworthy fame to claim. Plus, it looks pretty cool too [Gold Standard].
Anyway, the question I have is in regards to the proper administration of protien, in terms of quantity and timely manners of consumption.

At first, I obliged the directions of the container, without question and with trust. But then I came upon this article about protien, in a Mens Health magazine [this month], which advised that all a person really needs per day to build muscle, is approximately 30 grams. Well, this was a bit of a surprise to me, as I had been following directions to consume one gram of protien per pound of body weight. This means I've been consuming 220 grams of protien a day!
The directions suggest that I divide that number [220] into 6, for it is recommended to eat that many meals a day, and to consume [in my case] 36 grams of protien per meal.

So now with these two opposing ends of supposed 'supplemental-wisdom', I'm left wondering what the real deal is.
Is ON playing some scam/ploy to get gullible souls to consume their products faster and buy more sooner? Or are they simply and honestly just working on a different, but tried and true principle?

What's a man to do?

[Personal relevant info:
22 yrs old
6'3
220 lbs
Medium/Average build
Medium intensity work-outs 3-4 times a week]

30 grams? Men's Health isn't very good in my opinion and in the eyes of my friends. Check out the website www.t-mag.com if you want info on dieting and training. The general rule that most weight lifters follow (1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight) can be a little excessive but you should be fine taking the amount you are. Remember though that you're already getting protein from your diet.

I'm just curious where does this guidline in pounds come from anyway? Every text book, every class, every journal I have read is based in kilograms. The RDA recommendation for the average person is .8 grams of protein per KILOGRAM of bodyweight. Athletes tend to range from .8 - 1.7 per KILOGRAM of bodyweight. to find your bodyweight in kg's divide your bodyweight in pounds by 2.2

Back