Promoted too fast - what would you do?

Thanks again to everyone. Especially Andre. My decision will be to eventually just accept the belt. I did take a few years off from 1993 to 2008. But, the bottom line for me is that I do not learn quickly.

I am 46 years old. My athletic condition is actually my strong point. I train 3-4 times a week, run 5 miles on the off days, lift weights 2 times per week. I stretch 20 minutes every morning and do 400 reps of various situps and leg raises each day. I even have a grappling dummy I drill on it 2-3 times a week. My kids and wife think it looks pretty funny. But, the moves I drill on spontaneously keep showing up in my game on the mat. So, I keep doing it.

I watch videos nearly every day. Grappling does not come easy for me. Which is probably why I like it. The challenge is the thrill.

I am always amazed at the guys who sign up for Jiu Jitsu and are tapping everyone out in a few months.

your belt has nothing to do with anybody else's belt. ever. it's your rank and your rank alone. each person's belt means something different. in most schools, especially the traditional schools, that belt is about time, and respect.

it doesn't matter what color belt you're wearing, everybody taps the same.

Sorry to let everyone down, but unless he's lying about his age this is *not* Ed O'Neil. Ed O'Neil was born in 1946, making him older than the 46 that Oldguy claims to be.

Damn, I was really hoping I was on the same forum with Ed O'Neil. :redface:

i would move to San antonio Texas and try to sell pace picante salsa.

or just dont wear the blackbelt.

Okay. Who the heck is Ed O'Neal and why in the world are all you guys obsessed about him?

Okay. Who the heck is Ed O'Neal and why in the world are all you guys obsessed about him?

ed oneal is al bundy from married with children, quite possibly the funniest show ever....and ed oneal(the main character) just got his blackbelt from rorion, and he has been training bjj for like 15 years at the gracie academy.

watch this
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-qRJM5750A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-qRJM5750A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dont worry about it at all you have the jiu-jitsu knowledge of your belt color what you should do is teach and make some badass students

I dont get why anyone would put Ed ONeill down. The guy has a passion for bjj, has taken privates for 15 years, and is always willing to get on the mat and roll. He should be applauded and respected, imo.

Hmm, I didn't see anyone put him down but I agree with you ... much respect to a man who got into it late in life, compared to most and sticking with it for 15 years.

Very few people are even as committed in their damn marriages.

I always hated the belt colors. I am glad I do no gi now. hen I did go to a gi school I liked it but no gi is more my style.

Thanks again to everyone. Especially Andre. My decision will be to eventually just accept the belt. I did take a few years off from 1993 to 2008. But, the bottom line for me is that I do not learn quickly.

I am 46 years old. My athletic condition is actually my strong point. I train 3-4 times a week, run 5 miles on the off days, lift weights 2 times per week. I stretch 20 minutes every morning and do 400 reps of various situps and leg raises each day. I even have a grappling dummy I drill on it 2-3 times a week. My kids and wife think it looks pretty funny. But, the moves I drill on spontaneously keep showing up in my game on the mat. So, I keep doing it.

I watch videos nearly every day. Grappling does not come easy for me. Which is probably why I like it. The challenge is the thrill.

I am always amazed at the guys who sign up for Jiu Jitsu and are tapping everyone out in a few months.

I just read through this whole thread and I have to say, this stands out. I don't know if I really believe you. Your athletic condition is your strong point, you train BJJ 3-4 times a week, lift twice a week, stretch for 20 minutes every single morning, do situps every day and drill on a grappling dummy 2-3 times a week? All that and you've been training for 15 years and you're claiming to be at beginning purple belt level?

If all the above training information is accurate, there is just no way. You're saying you watch grappling in your downtime as well, so obviously you study the game and learn new things and probably train smart, I just don't believe it at all. I hear people on this board say that the average time until you can reasonably expect to be a black belt is 8 years if you train hard. You say you're an older guy and all that, so even if you're learning twice as slowly as everyone you train with, you could still expect to be at black belt level in 16 years. There is no way you're still at beginning purple belt level.

Do you compete in your age division? How do you do? How did you feel your skill level was when you got your purple? How did you feel your skill level was when you got your brown? Are you still progressing at an extremely slow pace or have you just stopped progressing since you've been a purple belt?

I just read through this whole thread and I have to say, this stands out. I don't know if I really believe you. Your athletic condition is your strong point, you train BJJ 3-4 times a week, lift twice a week, stretch for 20 minutes every single morning, do situps every day and drill on a grappling dummy 2-3 times a week? All that and you've been training for 15 years and you're claiming to be at beginning purple belt level?

If all the above training information is accurate, there is just no way. You're saying you watch grappling in your downtime as well, so obviously you study the game and learn new things and probably train smart, I just don't believe it at all. I hear people on this board say that the average time until you can reasonably expect to be a black belt is 8 years if you train hard. You say you're an older guy and all that, so even if you're learning twice as slowly as everyone you train with, you could still expect to be at black belt level in 16 years. There is no way you're still at beginning purple belt level.

Do you compete in your age division? How do you do? How did you feel your skill level was when you got your purple? How did you feel your skill level was when you got your brown? Are you still progressing at an extremely slow pace or have you just stopped progressing since you've been a purple belt?

I say again, some people are too critical of their own skill. They kick your ass and then honestly believe they fight like crap.

I have an Ikkyu (3rd Degree Brown) on my team that is like this. If he had his way he'd still be a Orange or even Yellow belt. This man will straight up MURDER you in randori as easy as breathing, then apologize for being so out of shape or too stiff. My coach said he knows he's in for a fight with him. The man has so much talent and skill and yet his mental self-abuse keeps him from reaching his full potential.

I can definatly see where the TS is coming from, and again I say this trust your Coach, who (hopefully) has more experience and skill and let him decide when to promote you.

Accept the belt...

Don't get into the expectations of the belt, just because you have a black belt does not mean you should have special powers...

It means you have completed the required training to wear the belt, wear it with pride.

Back