1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Promising Young Woman(film)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Kafir-kun, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Saw this trailer the other day, looks like a fun movie which is not what I would've imagined myself thinking abut a #metoo movie. Thoughts?

2. Oliver C. Red Belt Platinum Member

I don't know... looks decent but seems a little "man bash-y". ;)

<24>

3. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

i’ve only heard great things about Killing Eve, which the writer/director wrote for, so i’m looking forward to this. looks good & has a pretty solid cast too.

4. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Does come off that way but I am more forgiving of stuff like that if the film successfully takes a humorous approach to it which this film seems to.
    Never saw that one but I have liked what I have seen from Carrie Mulligan.

5. Graves The Elder Banned Banned

bitch is fugly

6. Oliver C. Red Belt Platinum Member

Agree. I was being somewhat facetious. It actually looks pretty entertaining and I'm sure we'll probably end up seeing it at some point.

7. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Don't get the tone or genre at all. From the trailer (which I saw prior to Uncut Gems), I was absolutely certain it was building up to be a horror/revenge movie, with Mulligan butchering these dudes who were going to take advantage of her. When I checked IMDB, it seemed like they were pitching it as a drama. I don't know. All I know is that it seems way against type for Mulligan, who is a very solid actress but generally not in roles like this one.

I'd say if her performance and the premise are good enough to sustain a film, that's cool. But if it's just trying to be a "movie of our time," I think it's going to falter.

McLovin' will always be McLovin', won't he. Good dude. Haven't seen him in a while.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  8. Shinigami Blue Belt

It is a remake of this scene

9. nostradumbass Steel Belt

A woman who's mad at a guy from her teenage years and is still a psycho decades later and takes it out on guys who had nothing to do with it? Wow, how could they have possibly come up with a story like that?

<36>

10. Willy Womack Banned Banned

No shit. I read the script for this a while back. Had no idea they actually went ahead with it.

It absolutely does turn into a revenge story, to clarify something said by an above poster (don't expect much butchery though). It also is man-bashy to the fullest extent. I think literally every man in the script is a closeted rapist (save the protag's father). Anyway this is less metoo and more about stuff like that Stanford rapist. It does happen and it's sick but this story is much more preachy than entertaining imo. If anyone likes it then good for them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  11. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Well its implied she was assaulted in medical school so they'd be in their 20s.

12. nostradumbass Steel Belt

<mma4>

According to brackis and nac, that gives her a license to murder anyone else she feels like.

13. fungi rl

McLovin got old.