Promising Young Woman(film)

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Saw this trailer the other day, looks like a fun movie which is not what I would've imagined myself thinking abut a #metoo movie. Thoughts?

i’ve only heard great things about Killing Eve, which the writer/director wrote for, so i’m looking forward to this. looks good & has a pretty solid cast too.

I don't know... looks decent but seems a little "man bash-y". ;)

<24>
Does come off that way but I am more forgiving of stuff like that if the film successfully takes a humorous approach to it which this film seems to.
i’ve only heard great things about Killing Eve, which the writer/director wrote for, so i’m looking forward to this. looks good & has a pretty solid cast too.
Never saw that one but I have liked what I have seen from Carrie Mulligan.

Does come off that way but I am more forgiving of stuff like that if the film successfully takes a humorous approach to it which this film seems to.

Never saw that one but I have liked what I have seen from Carrie Mulligan.
Agree. I was being somewhat facetious. It actually looks pretty entertaining and I'm sure we'll probably end up seeing it at some point.

Don't get the tone or genre at all. From the trailer (which I saw prior to Uncut Gems), I was absolutely certain it was building up to be a horror/revenge movie, with Mulligan butchering these dudes who were going to take advantage of her. When I checked IMDB, it seemed like they were pitching it as a drama. I don't know. All I know is that it seems way against type for Mulligan, who is a very solid actress but generally not in roles like this one.

I'd say if her performance and the premise are good enough to sustain a film, that's cool. But if it's just trying to be a "movie of our time," I think it's going to falter.

McLovin' will always be McLovin', won't he. Good dude. Haven't seen him in a while.

Last edited:
A woman who's mad at a guy from her teenage years and is still a psycho decades later and takes it out on guys who had nothing to do with it? Wow, how could they have possibly come up with a story like that?

<36>

No shit. I read the script for this a while back. Had no idea they actually went ahead with it.

It absolutely does turn into a revenge story, to clarify something said by an above poster (don't expect much butchery though). It also is man-bashy to the fullest extent. I think literally every man in the script is a closeted rapist (save the protag's father). Anyway this is less metoo and more about stuff like that Stanford rapist. It does happen and it's sick but this story is much more preachy than entertaining imo. If anyone likes it then good for them.

Last edited:
A woman who's mad at a guy from her teenage years and is still a psycho decades later and takes it out on guys who had nothing to do with it? Wow, how could they have possibly come up with a story like that?

<36>
Well its implied she was assaulted in medical school so they'd be in their 20s.

Back