Promising male actors who died in their twenties.

Who's the best actor out of these guys?

• Total voters
So sad.
Every one of them had great futures in front of them.

I voted Dean sentimentally but Ledger is probably the right answer.

Dean was nominated for awards in all those 3 films (interestingly for RWOAC he was only nominated for BAFTA and not the Oscar).

Ledger was the same he died after his most iconic performance, prior for the film people were mad that the guy from 10 things was playing the Joker (even if he had been in broke back mountain).

I think its close but I give the edge for Dean, RWOAC its just more important for pop culture that Heath Joker.
He had a good but very short run. He was absolutely promising. But again, tiny body of work.

Has anyone heard of Chen Wo-fu, of the shaw bros' The Shadow Boxer.
from the dvd case:
The final and most famous role for real life shadow boxing champion Chen Wo-fu, who died at the age of 24 before its release, and whose role here has drawn comparisons to James Dean

Hard not to vote Heath. He showed the most IMO in the time he was here. Some of the other's didn't necessary get that chance unfortunately.

Also, had no idea he was in his 20s when he passed. Figured he was already in his 30s.

James Dean was a handsome man. @Clementine @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

james-dean-east-of-eden-gif-500.gif
Oh yes yes yes he was gorgeous, a hunk. He is nearly up there with Dan Severn and you in terms of gorgeousness

dan-severn-belt_cropped.jpg

Shitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

HKJd2upR_400x400.jpg

River Phoenix, James Dean and Brandon Lee

Hard not to vote Heath. He showed the most IMO in the time he was here. Some of the other's didn't necessary get that chance unfortunately.

Also, had no idea he was in his 20s when he passed. Figured he was already in his 30s.
He was 28.

He had a good but very short run. He was absolutely promising. But again, tiny body of work.

Still more iconic than Heaths. Its not like anyone thinks a knights tale and 10 things about you are important roles at all.

With Heath you also have the factor that maybe he he hadn't died he wouldn't have won the Oscar and his Joker role wouldn't have created such buzz.

Ledger.

Phoenix unfortunately started losing roles due to drugs which ultimately ended up being his downfall. There was a time when guys like Leo and Brad Pitt looked up to him like he was everything they wanted to be. Many have said that had he not fallen victim to the drugs, he probably would have been a notch ahead of those two and gotten his pick of roles that were ultimately offered to those guys.

We all hail his brother as a great actor nowadays, but there was a time when he was the only Phoenix anyone knew, who taught his bro everything.

Yep, serious. No doubt he's a talented guy, but he overdoes it, both onscreen and off. All that 'Call me Mr. President' bullshit is a needless distraction that drags other people down. Frankly, it's a pain in the ass.

I understand my opinion of DDL puts me in the minority, even among actual industry people and not just random people on a forum who like movies. I admit, tho, he was good in Obama.

What's your thoughts on Christian Bale?

What's your thoughts on Christian Bale?
Similar. Very talented guy, but needs to lighten up. There's a reason people hate working with him. I'm a bit biased in this case, because I knew his father (professionally) and met Christian a few times way back pre-American Psycho.

Still more iconic than Heaths. Its not like anyone thinks a knights tale and 10 things about you are important roles at all.

With Heath you also have the factor that maybe he he hadn't died he wouldn't have won the Oscar and his Joker role wouldn't have created such buzz.
Possibly. He may still have got it regardless as the role was being hyped even before his death (yes I know his death added to the buzz big time) Also, one could say the same thing about Deans final role. How much came into play that he died before the movie came out.

And while those roles you mentioned are not very important. They are still roles where he showed a likable charisma and are generally well liked movies. The Patriot was a pretty big movie when it came out. Monsters Ball he showed serious acting talent even if he wasn’t a lead role. Brothers Grim is another likable movie. Brokeback Mountain was a pretty big deal acting wise.

This is about who we think the better actor is. Not who is just more iconic (which Deans death also added to the buzz big time)

Similar. Very talented guy, but needs to lighten up. There's a reason people hate working with him. I'm a bit biased in this case, because I knew his father (professionally) and met Christian a few times way back pre-American Psycho.

Oh really, wow. Do you work in the movie industry?

Oh really, wow. Do you work in the movie industry?
Yes, for about 15 years starting in the early 90's. Exclusively indie film, not studio stuff.

I guess as far as body of work I'd say Ledger.

I'm not familiar with Renfro's work...

but I only know Lee from the Crow, which was a good movie but I wouldn't say his performance was all that amazing.

I only know James Dean from RWOAC.. which again was a great movie, but I can't really judge based off of anything else.

I can only recall River's performance in Stand by Me... great movie, but I can't say he was otherworldly in that.
River was amazing in his cameo as young Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I highly recommend checking it out on youtube.

Yes, for about 15 years starting in the early 90's. Exclusively indie film, not studio stuff.

That's awesome. So how's Christian Bale off screen? Is he a lot more chilled out? Easy to talk to?

Back