Progression of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (great and long read)

Cool and thoughtful article, thanks for posting that. I like how he explores not only the technical aspect of what he feels people should be working on, but the common mindsets that people have at each level.

The mindset aspect is what did it for me. We have a blue belt in my school who, to me anyways, has amazing technique. I outweigh him by, I'm guessing, close to 100 lbs. Just last night I found myself asking "How do I get on top of this guy?". The article made me realize that I'm not really supposed to. If I do.....then great but then what? Back to my back I go. lol

Roy Harris is my instructor and an excellent practitioner and teacher. I found this article to be very enlightening the first time I read it. I highly recommend folks go to a seminar of his if the opportunity presents itself!

LOL

I knew there was no way this hadn't been posted at some time.

I liked it. I may disagree on a few parts about when "flow" and putting your own little stamp or specialty area can develop but overall i thought it was a very good article.

especially if you are just starting, I think it will allow that person to relax a bit more knowing that they don't need to be dominating at lower levels. "survival" is a good word to use at some level.

i read the article for the first time. thanks for posting/sharing. i like the mindset characterizations. they definitely help to keep things in perspective.

This is very enlightening, I hope to one day obtain this knowledge as every of Jiu Jitsu practitioner. I am also intrigued by his training technique, its very broken down and methodical.

Back