Professional athetes transitioning to MMA.

TheStrangler

Dont be scared homie.
@White
Reaction score
Do you think that professional athletes (Football,basketball, etc.) transitioning have more upside in potential even with minimal or no MMA experience as opposed to someone who has trained strictly one martial art (TKD, BJJ, Judo etc.) and is mediocre athletically. Who would you rather train, I'm talking in the long run here, an excellent athlete with no MMA training whatsoever; or a guy same age, decent athlete, with a brown/black belt in his respective martial art.

Hmm, I could see some athetes making it in MMA.

Not all athletes like getting puched in the face and kicked in the liver.

It takes a certain breed to take a hit and I think a lot of athletes won't pass that test.

I'm a pro boxer, not highly ranked, and if I can sharpen my wrestling, I will make the UFC. People hate how much low ranked UFC figthters make, but try boxing. More brain trauma for less money.

takes a certain personality
wo want to be a fighter

TS i have a question to you. What do you think takes longer, to build muscles or learn Technique? ;)

TS i have a question to you. What do you think takes longer, to build muscles or learn Technique? ;)
Definitely technique, but have muscles doesn't make you athletic. Athleticism is somewhat a "God-given", gift but still takes work. Anyone can learn techniques which is where my question arose. Would you rather someone who already has trained a single martial art who has the technique but isn't a gifted athlete. Or an amazing athlete who has minimal to no training whatsoever

You have to define athlete. Hand speed and fight instinct aren't traditionally measured in athleticism.

I'm a pro boxer, not highly ranked, and if I can sharpen my wrestling, I will make the UFC. People hate how much low ranked UFC figthters make, but try boxing. More brain trauma for less money.
What's your mma record?

I'm not sure if this deserves a real answer, but I'll try. Generally speaking, you obviously take the guy who's already proficient in a martial art - although not all martial arts are equal. But it also depends on the age of these fictional characters. If they're in their mid- to late-twenties, then you take the martial artist each time. But if we're grabbing them when they're 20 or under, I'd take a shot on giving Lebron or JJ Watt 5 years of intense training and seeing how far they get.

That being said, this seems to follow the false narrative that MMA fighters aren't great athletes. For the most part, the guys at the top of the sport are absolute stud athletes. And they have something that can't be trained -- toughness and a willingness to get hit. It doesn't matter how great an athlete Lebron is. If he has an aversion to getting hit, he'd be breakdancing with Brock.

You have to define athlete. Hand speed and fight instinct aren't traditionally measured in athleticism.
Fight instinct is mental, athleticism is purely physical.

Fight instinct is mental, athleticism is purely physical.
No it's not.

I reference Roy jones all the time. He looked average athletically on a development league basketball court. In the ring his "athleticism" would destroy any nba player. Some have better fight athleticism and instinct. It's not all trained. Like hitting a baseball or throwing a fastball.

Definitely technique, but have muscles doesn't make you athletic. Athleticism is somewhat a "God-given", gift but still takes work. Anyone can learn techniques which is where my question arose. Would you rather someone who already has trained a single martial art who has the technique but isn't a gifted athlete. Or an amazing athlete who has minimal to no training whatsoever

I would train the one with Martial Art experience. because you can train Athleticism explosivness ect.

but you cant teach a Athletic guy 10years of Martial Arts experience in a short time. look at paul Pogbas striking video. He has the Athleticism but not good technique at all.

Read the book Physical Chess by Billy Robinson

I hope i helped you

They are already preparing

Ujvur.gif

Must ride bikes with the Diaz bros

1bd728bf7991a8509e26842db0a60179.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

What's your mma record?
He a Pro Boxer who doesn't want to train or compete in MMA, he wants to just sharpen his wrestling and make the UFC #jamestoneysyndrom This is Sherdog, where fans still think UFC is the sport and ask what MMA is.

Back