1. Non Gif Shoop Contest v6 Round 2 is up! Vote Here»

Problems with the butterfly guard (gi)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Calibur, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Hi all.

Right now I am going through a butterfly guard jones and I am trying to work from there exclusively. I decided to do this because one of my former teammates (a very good Brown belt) used to use this guard only. He never closed his guard at all. Just butterfly.

I'm trying to develop my open guard game but I am having problems transitioning to the butterfly guard with the gi. No gi it is easy because my opponents can't control my collar or sleeves, but with the gi I find out my opponents can stall my transitions by controlling my sleeves or my collar. Even white belts can do this.

That being the case, I can only play Butterfly as a transition from halfguard or an escape, since by than my underhooks are usually established.

Any advice for playing butterfly guard from a distance? Particularly when grip fighting?

2. Aesopian Brown Belt

I just grab a collar and sleeve like I'm doing judo and slide in. If they get grips I don't like, I break them like judo too.

3. SMillard Red Belt

You might want to try and get in touch with the brown belt/former team mate and ask him or your instructor.

One thing for me is I don't like to hang out in butterfly guard too long. Also, It is a guard where I definitely like the have my grips just right before transition or things go south really quick for me.

4. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

My Japanese isnt so good over the phone. If it was I would ask him "how do I get the appropriate grips while moving between closed guard and butterfly guard". At my gym now, no one plays butterfly like this guy did. I kind of wish I taped him rolling. The dude could use butterfly from anywhere.

5. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Simple as that huh? That's what I do too, but as I am doing the grip breaking we usually start scrambling. I usually end up in closed, half, or dogfight until one of us establishes something more secure.

I guess that is my question. Avoiding the scramble while breaking my opponents grips.

6. blanko Guest

mind puting a vid on your blog/website on this? It would be great

7. randyrATX White Belt

One thing I focus on is that my hooks are always lifting or pushing. It takes your opponent off their balance and makes it more difficult for them to control you.

And one other item, learn when to back out. Sometimes the situation is not good, reset and start over.

8. SMillard Red Belt

sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that I know what to do, can see it in my head but every time I try to type it it comes out confusing to me. Hence I think it would be confusing to anyone. If you don't find something here go to lockflow.com or do a youtube search. There is almost always something there, not to mention other various sites.

9. txfighter13 Purple Belt

Treat it the exact same. If you go read Marcelo's book you will see there is little change from using the gi to no-gi.

10. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Update.

I made a more recent thread called "whose butterfly guard do you use" but the search function can't find it. Apparently it is lost in Sherdog limbo.

Anyhow, my Butterfly has been coming along nicely. The guy I mentioned before played a butterfly game devoid of wrestling and I wanted to see how he did it. I now think I know.

Two things.

1. Armdrags: I don't go need underhooks at all now. I simply armdrag or ankle pick I might get a butterfly sweep off their reaction, but it is always incidental.

2. The inverted De La Riva: Man, this has been the piece to the puzzle that I have been searching for. No shin/shin guard at all. Just the inverted DLR. I learned a lot from watching Cobhrina matches. It is lovely, and I can use it any time my opponent tries to scramble from my butterfly guard.

Does anyone here have any tips or tricks for using the Inverted DLR. I am starting to think it may be the safest guard out there when no strikes are involved.

11. BrazilianBomber** Banned Banned

It tires me out

12. onepointeighty Green Belt

anyone want to post a vid of the inverted DLR?

if we are starting from the knees i butt scoot in til i have feet on the hips or straight butterfly hooks to start my butterfly game. if you keep in a marcelo garcia kind of sitting position he cant really pass if your tight in a ball

13. masada555 Orange Belt

what is the inverted dlr? are you referring to the position that many people call reverse dlr? or are you referring to an actual inverted, upside-down position?

14. onepointeighty Green Belt

thats what i thought at first too id really like to see it in action

15. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

16. Kimura Vizion Orange Belt

Try this...
    quickly grab collar and sleeve (same side)
    now place the foot (same side as your grips) on the hip and lock your leg out
    place your other foot on opponents bicep
    LEAN BACK HARD BREAKING THEIR POSTURE
    from here there are a ton of options (Sweep, triangle, armbar, omoplata)

I go from butterfly to this all the time and it messes people up....

17. JJd2sc Yellow Belt

you got me interested. a quick google search didn't leave me with much. is there any good info on the inverted DLR online? basics of the position and basic setups would be great. thanks.

18. marbowers Guest

How do you deal w/ people who stand and try jumping straight to mount?

19. Kimura Vizion Orange Belt

Knees to chest and roll back...they will go right over you no prob