Problems getting inside

Sidearm21

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to sparring. Me and my friend are sparring using 14 ounce boxing gloves and really just working on technique. Trying to get better. I am about 5'9" pretty stocky build. The problem is the guy I am sparring with is about 6'1" and lanky. He has a log torso as well. Whenever I try to get inside, he just has to lean back and is ready to throw shots back to counter. Whenever he comes foward to throw, I have to lean and back up. And then come forward to land anything. Are there any tips or hints that you all have picked up in your experience that could help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

You don't have to use the core defense that they are using in this video series (crazy monkey defense) but they have a 5 part series on youtube on how to deal with taller opponents. Regardless of your defense style, the principles will apply to anyone

Part 1: YouTube - Centerline Gym - Dealing with taller opponents 1
Part 2: YouTube - Centerline Gym - Dealing with taller opponents 2
Part 3: YouTube - Centerline Gym - Dealing with taller opponents 3
Part 4: YouTube - Centerline Gym - Dealing with taller opponents 4
Part 5: YouTube - Centerline Gym - Dealing with Taller Opponents Part 5

Hey guys,

I am new to sparring. Me and my friend are sparring using 14 ounce boxing gloves and really just working on technique. Trying to get better. I am about 5'9" pretty stocky build. The problem is the guy I am sparring with is about 6'1" and lanky. He has a log torso as well. Whenever I try to get inside, he just has to lean back and is ready to throw shots back to counter. Whenever he comes foward to throw, I have to lean and back up. And then come forward to land anything. Are there any tips or hints that you all have picked up in your experience that could help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Stop moving back...let HIM close the distance for you as you block/cover and counter. That's also one of the secrets of getting into clinch range in MT. Learn to attack when the other person attacks basically.

For example...try drilling where a person attacks you just like this guy is, and learn to apply a slip/punch, intercepting kick, or whatever at the same time as the attack. In this way you throw off the other guy's rhythm and no longer have to worry about covering the distance after he's ready for your counter.

Last edited:
Work on slipping punches and when you do get inside make it worth it throw 6 punch combos and try to keep on the inside as long as possible

Conventional wisdom says use good head movement, get on the inside, work the body.
He has the reach advantage
Take it away from him

I fight in the orthodox stance. Not a lefty. I am gonna work footwork and head movement going forward. Thank you all for all of the input. It will just take time. Thanks guys.

My old coach used to tell me to get shorter if I was fighting someone taller, and move my head on the way in. You being lower takes away some of their reach (they are punching down instead of straight; note this is my boxing experience, I would defer to someone else if you're talking about mt). You're going to get hit, but take your punishment, and then punish him by taking advantage of your position inside quickly.

Back