Probably a dumb question.

• Thread starter Tkdmmafighter**
  • Start date
T

Tkdmmafighter**

Is there such thing as too much fiber in your diet? I started taking a fiber supplement the other week, and it worked well. But the last 2 days i have pooped lk once.

I think fiber actually helps you poop more. Too much of anything is bad for you.

Is it possible to eat too much fiber?

Yes. The fiber content of the diet should be increased gradually so that the gastrointestinal tract can adjust. Large fiber intakes will initially cause gas and possibly diarrhea. High fiber diets may cause volvulus, an enlargement and twisting of the lower colon seen in Africans on high fiber diets.

Fiber can affect mineral metabolism. Some studies have reported decreased absorption of calcium and zinc when subjects eat bran or purified cellulose. Pectin does not seem to change mineral absorption. It is unlikely that persons eating a variety of high fiber, natural foodstuffs need to be concerned about decreased mineral absorption. Eating large quantities of bran and purified cellulose is discouraged.

b0b said:
I think fiber actually helps you poop more. Too much of anything is bad for you.

i know this, i was just wondering if too much of it would be bad.

48LawsOfPower said:
Is it possible to eat too much fiber?

Yes. The fiber content of the diet should be increased gradually so that the gastrointestinal tract can adjust. Large fiber intakes will initially cause gas and possibly diarrhea. High fiber diets may cause volvulus, an enlargement and twisting of the lower colon seen in Africans on high fiber diets.

Fiber can affect mineral metabolism. Some studies have reported decreased absorption of calcium and zinc when subjects eat bran or purified cellulose. Pectin does not seem to change mineral absorption. It is unlikely that persons eating a variety of high fiber, natural foodstuffs need to be concerned about decreased mineral absorption. Eating large quantities of bran and purified cellulose is discouraged.

yeh.. generally what 48laws said.. too much fiber can interfere with nutritional absorption of some things.. but u need fiber to move your bowels.. the best time to take it is in the morning or at night on an empty stomach with your pro-biotics (friendly bacteria--help u absorb food better and fight bad bacteria in ur colon) if u choose to take those as well.. :wink:

Back