Pro mma fighters with scoliosis

james gatti

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey,

I got mild scoliosis (spine curves) it doesn't affect me but in the future I want to turn pro in mma.

I know nate quarry had a slipped disc and back surgery, tito ortiz had back surgery, and shane burgos had severe scoliosis and back surgery.

So how comes these guys weren't stopped from fighting or getting their license in the US?

Also how do I turn pro? I live in the UK and I'm thinking of maybe when I feel I'm ready to turn pro going to phuket top team and training with them, to see if they can get me some fights with one fc, or maybe having me pro debut in the UK then going to phuket top team.

Could scoliosis stop me from turning pro? or is mma being the newer sport not as regulated as boxing where you have official boxing commissions stopping people from fighting.

Hey,

I got mild scoliosis (spine curves) it doesn't affect me but in the future I want to turn pro in mma.

I know nate quarry had a slipped disc and back surgery, tito ortiz had back surgery, and shane burgos had severe scoliosis and back surgery.

So how comes these guys weren't stopped from fighting or getting their license in the US?

Also how do I turn pro? I live in the UK and I'm thinking of maybe when I feel I'm ready to turn pro going to phuket top team and training with them, to see if they can get me some fights with one fc, or maybe having me pro debut in the UK then going to phuket top team.

Could scoliosis stop me from turning pro? or is mma being the newer sport not as regulated as boxing where you have official boxing commissions stopping people from fighting.

If you want to go pro, find a team and get some amateur fights. You need to build a relationship with a gym and a team to the point where they feel comfortable booking fights for you based on the skill level you show in training. You can't just show up to a gym and say book me fights when they don't know you. Put the time in and your opportunity will come. Forget about one fc. Start small and amateur, you don't want to have bad losses on your record from dumb mistakes. Take your time and learn.

If you want to go pro, find a team and get some amateur fights. You need to build a relationship with a gym and a team to the point where they feel comfortable booking fights for you based on the skill level you show in training. You can't just show up to a gym and say book me fights when they don't know you. Put the time in and your opportunity will come. Forget about one fc. Start small and amateur, you don't want to have bad losses on your record from dumb mistakes. Take your time and learn.
Thanks man, I will start small and amateur that is my plan. I already train been boxing for a while now and also do muay thai and some kickboxing. I really want to turn pro after I've had amateur mma fights, but im unsure of how things work... do I need a professional license like you do with boxing, you need to get a pro license with the bbbofc in the UK. Is there anything like that in mma or do I simply just find a promoter and get pro fights?

I have that as well. You say it doesn't effect you but just wait, my back is all sorts of fucked up on a daily basis.

I have that as well. You say it doesn't effect you but just wait, my back is all sorts of fucked up on a daily basis.

Well the fighters i mentioned in the first post seem to get on with it. Mine is also mild, do you fight pro with your back then and how many degrees is it?

When you do your medical screening for the fight, don't mention it.

mark-munoz-gegard-mousasi-ufc-fight-night-41.jpg

Mousasi has a weird posture.

Why would mild scoliosis prevent you from fighting? I have just that and aside from some minor back issues that flare up here and there and some issues with certain exercises I'm able to function just fine.

I'm new to mma, just changed from amateur boxing and started mma, not sure how it works whether you need medicals and stuff and the only physical medical condition I can think of that I have is mild scoliosis, so I'm just worried that because I have a medical condition I cant fight even though it doesnt affect me, I guess it doesnt work like that?

When you do your medical screening for the fight, don't mention it.

Do you only have medical screenings before fights or do you have to have a medical annually and have a medical to get a license like in boxing? And I won't, I know the doctors know shane burgos and spine surgery and he's still aloud to fight :confused:

That looks like scoliosis, but a lot worse than mine

So you have nothing to worry about.
Apart from being beaten to a bloody pulp/ear exploding and so on.

rance-jones-earsplosion1.gif

He wasnt an MMA fighter, but Lamar Gant had scoliosis and has a record deadlift of 634lbs at the 123lb weight class.

lamar-gant-scoliosis.jpg

Was this guy like 4'9?

Haha, just a bit taller than that but not by much. He also had long arms for his height. He was fun to watch perform unfortunately I watched just as his career was just about over (Same with Hideaki Inaba).

Swedish Highlight Alexander Lööf just made his MMA debut and he has Scoliosis we spoke about it on a podcast. Very inspirational!

Hey,

On UK go training on Titan Gym to become Pro

Back