Pro KB and MT Illegal in Canada

I wonder if there was lobbying done from local Boxing/MMA promoters to have it amended in such a way? Established groups often have the clout to lobby against competition from foreign/new-comers. Regulations have always been used to do the opposite of what they're advertised as, its the "Revolving door" and cronyism at work here.

I wonder if there was lobbying done from local Boxing/MMA promoters to have it amended in such a way? Established groups often have the clout to lobby against competition from foreign/new-comers. Regulations have always been used to do the opposite of what they're advertised as, its the "Revolving door" and cronyism at work here.

Very true.

Here in Ontario waaaay back in the day (late 80's/early 90's) the established sport of kickboxing (lead by Twin Dragon Kickboxing) fought very hard to keep Muay Thai Illegal. "Amateur" fights were held in backyards and garages because there were no places sanctioned to have competitions.

Last edited:
WTF? I live in BC and go to amateur MT events all the time. Please don't tell me those are gunna be banned too

Edit: OK it looks like only pro events are banned. That's just retarded

Terrible news, I can only hope that A class amateur events will remain legal to keep Canadian fighters in tip top shape for pro fights in other regions.

Couldn't they just have a muay thai rules fight inside of a cage and call it MMA?

Yep looks like I am going across the border for my first fight. Shame...really hope this gets worked out.

I believe pro MT is still illegal in Ontario but amateur MT is legal. Just looked it up and pro Boxing, Kickboxing and MMA are legal in Ontario. MT is amateur but has a list of techniques which are not allowed essentially making it kickboxing.

Last edited:
Couldn't they just have a muay thai rules fight inside of a cage and call it MMA?

A promotion in Quebec esstially tried that and the commision said that you have to adhere to policies and rules of existing approved sports and cannot pick and choose. I believe they tried to use all the weight classes and equipment of mma but not allow for ground game and it got shut down so they changed it to a mma event.

Back