Pro fighters out of Gracie Torrance (Rener, Ryron, Rorion) besides Brian Ortega??

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember that school had a reputation as being more commercial and was known for holding their students back and not promoting them to black belt. I trained there for a one day free class and it seemed a bit strict (beginners not allowed to roll/free train until 3 months, while other schools let you roll from day one). I chose the smaller but more relaxed RCJ Machado academy, also in Torrance, CA. They were more balanced in that they did a lot of no-gi and also had many people cross training from other gyms there, and a few MMA fighter students like pre-TUF Andy Wang (LOL) and Ricco Rodriguez. And since Rigan was a Carlos Gracie Jr. protege we had many well known Gracie Barra guests coming in occasionally.

Have things changed at Gracie Torrance now that it's run by Rorion's sons? Does Ralek still train and teach there? Do they still put beginners through street self-defense crash courses? And do they still emphasize gi training over no-gi? This was a common conflict in the more conservative gyms. Students with MMA ambitions wanted more no-gi training but Brazilian instructors kept insisting that the gi training makes you more technical in no-gi.

And are there any well known fighters besides Ortega to come out of that gym?

I know Brendan Schaub trained BJJ there...but that seemed more part time and it was later in his career.

And I know Ronda also trained there part time for a brief while as well.

But are there any other guys who started their careers under Gracie Torrance?

Last edited:
I know Brendan Schaub trained BJJ there...but that seemed more part time and it was later in his career.

So they taught him the shut down technique?

NeRK9vE.gif

Is this Gracie University on Carson St?

I pass by there all the time going to del amo mall

Rener, Ryron and Rorion give belts to people they have never met that train in a garage. They are lucky to have Brian. He is not lucky to have them.

They let him take way to much unnecessary damage in the cage due to their lack of experience. The ref/doctors had to rescue Brian because they wouldn’t do the right thing.

No pro fighter would train out of that academy unless they were raised by the instructors. It is not a true MMA gym.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Rener, Ryron and Rorion give belts to people they have never met that train in a garage. They are lucky to have Brian. He is not lucky to have them.

They would let him die in the cage. The ref/doctors care more about Brian than they do.
shut up and rewatch what happened.

You can tell that Rener is pushing the doctor to make the call so Brian will accept the decision and not feel betrayed by him.

And do they still emphasize gi training over no-gi? This was a common conflict in the more conservative gyms. Students with MMA ambitions wanted more no-gi training but Brazilian instructors kept insisting that the gi training makes you more technical in no-gi.

Slightly off topic, but that was the biggest myth in the BJJ community. Regardless of how you feel about gi jiu jitsu, there's no way that training in a gi can be better for no gi than training no gi. They supported it by saying that all the best no gi grapplers already train in a gi, but that was 10 years ago when 99% of grapplers did gi. Now with no gi specific teams and participants cropping up, that's been pretty definitively proven to be bullshit.

Slightly off topic, but that was the biggest myth in the BJJ community. Regardless of how you feel about gi jiu jitsu, there's no way that training in a gi can be better for no gi than training no gi. They supported it by saying that all the best no gi grapplers already train in a gi, but that was 10 years ago when 99% of grapplers did gi. Now with no gi specific teams and participants cropping up, that's been pretty definitively proven to be bullshit.
Yeah. The stop level athletic students were not buying it.

Gi training is better for self-defense in cold weather.

No wonder combat sambo is the preferred self-defense art of Russia. Judo throws with the gi, wrestling takedowns, more ground grappling than modern Judo (but far less than BJJ), leglocks.
Is this Gracie University on Carson St?

I pass by there all the time going to del amo mall
No, they aren't located there next to Todai/Onami sushi buffet anymore. They moved but are still in Torrance.

They let him take way to much unnecessary damage in the cage due to their lack of experience. The ref/doctors had to rescue Brian because they wouldn’t do the right thing.

No pro fighter would train out of that academy unless they were raised by the instructors. It is not a true MMA gym.
Yeah, they are lucky to have Brian in the sense of bringing up a guy to fight in MMA that wanted to fight MMA. He isn't unlucky to have them he wouldn't be where he is without the people that helped get him there.

Brian's got a good chin and a lot of heart and he has problems transitioning between striking and wrestling. When you combine that with the version of Max Holloway that showed that night, that would beat anyone that has ever fought at featherweight in the history of the sport, you get a royal ass whooping.

If you watch Ortega's Promo footage he is training at a number of places. The garage, on the Gracie matts AND an MMA gym. When one assess the holes in Brian's game it certainly is NOT his GJJ.

That possibly means the problem is one of those other training environments or that he is split between multiple training environments and is possibly being reflected in his ability to transition in the fight.

There is no one that transitions from standup directly to BJJ better than Ortega probably in the history of the MMA. That is an accomplishment owed to Brian's tenacity and his training in GJJ.

Look closer at the holes in his game before making ill informed conclusions.

Torrance crew checking in. I have so many famous mma fighters gyms within like 5 miles of my house.

Torrance crew checking in. I have so many famous mma fighters gyms within like 5 miles of my house.

Is Boxing Works one of them? Back in the day it was the go to place to train striking. Erik Paulsen taught catch wrestling there. I see on their website they don't list current teachers.

Then RAW training CTR became pretty popular.

They aren't really an MMA gym tho right. I always had the impression they were the last line of the true Gracie jiu-jitsu or something. That's what they use to sell their stupid online belts

Back