Prime Woodley

GOATtalks

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I keep reading about how Woodley has lost it and that he loses fights because he’s past his prime. But is it so?

I think Usman, Burns and Colby are just better fighters than TWood and the blueprint on how to beat Woodley has been out there for a long time.

A pressure fighter with good wrestling and striking will always beat Woodley. Rory did long time ago, KG almost did it as well.

Woodley can beat pure strikers ( Lawler, Wonderboy, Till) because he isn’t afraid of the TD and can threaten a TD of his own and let his hands go.

He also beats pure grapplers like Maia because of his amazing TDD and he can beat them on the feet.

Woodley loses to well rounded guys with good cardio.

Woodley isn’t losing because he got worse, but because he isn’t improving and always fights the same way.

I keep reading about how Woodley has lost it and that he loses fights because he’s past his prime. But is it so?

I think Usman, Burns and Colby are just better fighters than TWood and the blueprint on how to beat Woodley has been out there for a long time.

A pressure fighter with good wrestling and striking will always beat Woodley. Rory did long time ago, KG almost did it as well.

Woodley can beat pure strikers ( Lawler, Wonderboy, Till) because he isn’t afraid of the TD and can threaten a TD of his own and let his hands go.

He also beats pure grapplers like Maia because of his amazing TDD and he can beat them on the feet.

Woodley isn’t losing because he got worse, but because he isn’t improving and always fights the same way.

And because they division is stacked. Giblert, Usman and Colby were always going to beat Woodley prime or not.

of course they are just better fighters nobody will give colby the respect cause they are so triggered by him

Woodley has declined, he is not in his prime and is more tentative. But even in his prime, he was destroyed by Rory and Nate. Also, I believe Woodley might be the first fighter ever to go from champ to losing 15 consecutive rounds. Gilbert, Marty and Colby would beat Woodley in any point of his career.

He's not in his physical or mental prime but he's declined more mentally than he has physically. He can't pull the trigger like he used to and he no longer has the same killer instinct or self belief. That said it doesn't meal prime woodley wins his last 3 fights although i would give him a far greater chance.

Definitely not in his athletic prime. He spent that wrestling but he didnt start mma until he was 30 and has less than 20 fights.
Woodley, DC, Yoel are all very physically gifted former wrestlers who started MMA late and hadn’t had too many fights.

Both Yoel and DC were crushing everyone at 38. Woodley had his best ever performance against Till few months prior to getting demolished by Usman. He didn’t decline so fast

Who has room for fighting when you got hoes, flowz and monetoez from your successful rap-career?!

Woodley, DC, Yoel are all very physically gifted former wrestlers who started MMA late and hadn’t had too many fights.

Both Yoel and DC were crushing everyone at 38. Woodley had his best ever performance against Till few months prior to getting demolished by Usman. He didn’t decline so fast

Im going to agree in that i think woodley's problems are more than just his prime. He loses the way he always loses. His back against the cage.

He is weak between the ears. He folds. The very definition of a snowflake.

Do you think colby is going to be as good as he was last night in 6 years time when he's the same age as woodley 38?

Do you think colby is going to be as good as he was last night in 6 years time when he's the same age as woodley 38?
I’m not sure about that. Maybe. That isn’t my point. My point is Woodley has always fought like he did yesterday and would lose to Colby regardless of his age

pretty solid analysis!

Agreed. This passive style is exactly what he did with Rory years ago.

And why is he afraid to wrestle? Same with Yoel.

these guys grew up on the mat and then do everything they can to stay off it. Where is their Jitz game?

I think your prime years as a fighter or even an athlete in general would be between 27-33 years old imo.

Back