Prime Wand v Prime Shogun

To be honest, I don't think there is a viable fight in the UFC that I'd rather see than a prime Shogun vs a prime Wandy. I think Shogun takes it tho. In all reality there aren't too many 205ers I'd pick over a prime Shogun. Even Jon Jones vs prime Shogun, in the ring, I might pick Shogun.

During 2006-2009 it was pretty widely accepted Shogun was the better fighter and the fact that he trained with Wand and was sort of his prodigy was the only reason he was held back from the Pride middleweight belt.

They had pretty comparable styles revolving around high intensity Muay Thai and defensive Jiu-Jitsu, tho I think Shogun had the better chin, harder punches and was better at head movement, wand tended to berserk forward with his head up where as Rua tended to bob and leap forward with a hook and finish his combos with leg/body kicks.

If you look at common opponents. Wand beat Rampage twice and lost once, both wins were competitive before his brutal finishes at an average time of about 8-9 minutes, Rua Annihilated Rampage in 4 minutes : Wand had 2 close decisions with Arona, losing one and winning a split one, Rua annihilated Arona in about 3 minutes, : Wand was knocked out by Henderson in there fight, Rua lost to Hendo twice in 2 intense wars : Both beat Nakamura convincingly, tho Wand finished him : Both beat the shit out of Kenahra

Looking at there record I'm amazed Wanderlei never fought Overeem, and I'm surprised Shogun never fought Belfort or Franklin

Of course you are forgetting that prime Wand beat the crap out of Hendo, even with only one eye. Prime wand also beat the crap out of crocop in their crazy rules fight. and IMO got robbed against Hunt. I think Wand was the better fighter but style-wise Shogun would have beat him

i would pick prime wand he had a better gas tank never stopped how ever shogun could win by mixing up like how he did with little nog all so would of loved to see shogun fight some heavy weights like wand did cro cop , hunt , Fujita.

My head says Shogun (he is a more complete MMA fighter) but instinct says Wand especially during the brutal 5 year win streak

Everyone will say Shogun but imo, Wand would've big-brothered the fuck out of him.

I gotta agree with this. I think wanderlei would close the distance and inflict punishment on the inside. Wanderlei by UD.

Wand I reckon. Shogun had better kicks and groundgame but I think Wand would have controlled him in the clintch and been more agressive and backed Shogun up.

Real hard fight to call but id go for Prime Wand who was able to beat Crocop (even if officially a draw), something I dont think Shogun could have done.

I've got Shogun. Bigger, more agile, better takedowns and grappling. Wand could knock him out though. Would be one hell of a fight especially if it were in Pride.

I've got Shogun. Bigger, more agile, better takedowns and grappling. Wand could knock him out though. Would be one hell of a fight especially if it were in Pride.

Confused-Gary-Payton.gif

[yT]8sMrlv0Ub4M[/YT]

This is a video of them sparring back in PRIDE

Back