Prime vs Prime: Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Roy Jones Jr @160

beachburn2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No disrespect to guys like Carlos Monzon, but I believe these two in their primes to be the best MWs of all time. Not most accomplished, there is a difference.

vs

Who takes it?

I've got Jones via UD

Roy clowns him. Too fast, too slick in his prime.

the only guy i think that could give prime roy any problems. great pressure and head movement. good at slipping punches and leaping in with counter hooks. literally impenetrable chin. i think roy outpoints him but it would be a classic fight.

im sorry but a prime RJ beats everyone under HW, only the really big HWs like Lennox or Wladmir would beat him

Roy beats him easily. Hagler lost to the speed of SRL, who hadn't fought in a couple years.

I'd be surprised if anyone picked Hagler

Prime Roy beats pretty much anyone in history under HW.
Let's stop kidding and give him his props, no one had as much speed, slickness and power as this dude to this day. Even Ray Robinson goes down to the Roy Jones Jr. that beat James Toney.

Marvin has nothing on RJJ but his chin. Clear UD for Jones.

1977-06-10 : Hagler knocked out Joy Jones out in the 3rd... <Eek2.0>

Two of my favorite fighters. People try and suggest RJJ had trouble with southpaws- pointing to Tarver. I'm not sure I buy that simple analysis. As pointed out, RJJ was so athletically gifted, and he's the bigger fighter. I don't see Hagler being able to cutoff the ring and track Roy down enough, and then those moments when he does, RJJ's handspeed and power make it a less than fun for Marvin.

I love Hagler, but an awful matchup for him.

the only guy i think that could give prime roy any problems. great pressure and head movement. good at slipping punches and leaping in with counter hooks. literally impenetrable chin. i think roy outpoints him but it would be a classic fight.

I totally agree with this! Huge RJJ fan but dam Hagler was a tough SOB.

I think RJJ would outbox Hagler and make Hagler look somewhat ordinary. I don't think he'd be able to stop Marvin but he'd win nearly every round with his speed and reflexes. Hagler wouldn't quit but I don't see how he would win this one.

Sherdog should be able to detect when a thread like this is getting made, and just tell the user “No.”

Sherdog should be able to detect when a thread like this is getting made, and just tell the user “No.”

but nearly every thread would end with the second post.

why back to sherdog? You havent posted in years and before that only made a couple posts after another long hiatus.

combo of I had gotten burned out on boxing and switched to MMA (the MMA forums here were unbearable), work went crazy for 18 months. then the UFC decided to follow the disastrous WWE model of a PPV every other week, worse cards, increased prices, etc., and I gave up on MMA. spent some time chatting about some Sugar Ray Robinson fights over the holidays with my dad and his friends and here I am...

combo of I had gotten burned out on boxing and switched to MMA (the MMA forums here were unbearable), work went crazy for 18 months. then the UFC decided to follow the disastrous WWE model of a PPV every other week, worse cards, increased prices, etc., and I gave up on MMA. spent some time chatting about some Sugar Ray Robinson fights over the holidays with my dad and his friends and here I am...

Good to see you back, I remember you posting a lot back in the day.

Thankfully boxing is kind of on an upward trend at the moment

gracias. random fact of the day, looking at old boxing posters the Ali Holmes poster slogan was "last hurrah". .

Back